Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
262 Posts
I like it. Yeah, it's a little dry and hot, but I would probably have a nervous breakdown living close to town!! And it's not like it's a big deal to get to Honolulu if you need to, you just have to time your H1 times accordingly.

· Registered
882 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind when I hear Ewa is traffic. I lived in Pearl City for about 2 yrs and took the H1 home and I was always happy to get off in PC because I could see the traffic down the H1 as far as I could see. Just bumper to bumper nearly all the way from town out to Ewa sometimes.

I do have friends who live out there who really like it, but they tend to just stay around the area (Kapolei,etc) and avoid the traffic.

· Registered
262 Posts
Traffic has gotten better where they've widened Ft. Weaver Rd. H1 is H1, though-- there's decent hours on it where it's not too crowded, and then there's really really bad hours! Going to town before 10am isn't something I would recommend, but it's never been too bad after that and before 4pm. Miss the rush into town in the morning, or the rush out in the afternoon, and you're good.

Kapolei is getting a lot bigger, that's very cool. We like to go there to go shopping a bit, to avoid going into town-- Costco and Target especially!

· Premium Member
6,296 Posts
I'm biased because I live in a different part of town closer to the beach so take my advice for what it's worth. Whenever I go to Ewa there's a part of me that's glad I don't live there.
It's dry and hot. The traffic can be really bad. I have a friend who lives in Ewa and works in Downtown Honolulu. To get to her job by 8:00 am, she leaves the house at 5:30 a.m. Traffic can be bad going home too. It's not unheard of to spend over an hour in traffic just to go about 10 miles. However, the future of Oahu is in the Ewa Plain. There's a lot of development happening in the area so you won't need to leave the area to find things to do.

· Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
I'm biased because I live in a different part of town closer to the beach so take my advice for what it's worth. Whenever I go to Ewa there's a part of me that's glad I don't live there.
It's dry and hot. The traffic can be really bad. I have a friend who lives in Ewa and works in Downtown Honolulu. To get to her job by 8:00 am, she leaves the house at 5:30 a.m. Traffic can be bad going home too. It's not unheard of to spend over an hour in traffic just to go about 10 miles.
Ditto.
I have some friends who moved to Kapolei when they had a daughter - regret the isolation of it with a small child. There seems to be a larger community of crunchy Mamas and resources in town/windward areas so that hurts too.

And every time I'm there I feel like I'm in a California suburb which does not appeal to me at all, and as an environmentalist those housing developments on land like that make me grrrrrrrrrrr.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.