Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>i think i'm missing something. we read a book(s) the night before, then draw a picture(s) about it the next day, draw pictures about words that have the letter of the week, and use crafty ways other than writing to create each letter? is that really it? i feel like i must be missing something because it's so easy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>how are you doing math/other subjects? i have math-u-see primer but no blocks yet (am buying this week) so i haven't started that. how much detail and how do you document for social studies?</p>

·
Registered
613 Posts
<p>I think Kindy should be that simple, personally, unless your child says otherwise. I don't like to push academics at all, that's what can cause the love of learning to ebb away, imho.</p>

·
Registered
627 Posts
<p>Can anyone give me an overview of Oak Meadow kindergarten? I've actually gone to their site and received a catalog and still I'm not quite sure what it would look like.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>With my dd (now almost 8) I did NOT have a curriculum for her - we flew by the seat of our pants, but with me being busy with her, I think it could be nice to have something for him that's "pick up and do" kind of thing. I'm just not sure if Oak Meadow is that thing. I'd love some personal insight if anyone is up for it.</p>

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>we've been sort of unschooling anyway (hence me not getting around to even looking at the curriculum until the middle of november). it is definitely not something you could just hand to a child to do while you're doing something else. i'm thinking that we'll just continue on our sort of unschoolyness (making up words) and just use the oak meadow as backup/show-the-county.</p>

·
Registered
613 Posts
<p>tammyw: I will give you a example of 1 lesson, which you use throughout the week, using OM K. This will be a very abbreviated version;)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Lesson 1:</p>
<p>*Circle time: light candle, say opening verse, do a few song/poems/fingerplays, say closing verse, blow out candle.</p>
<p>*AM Main Lesson: This should last 45-60min, alternate different subjects for different days. Present letter A(1 letter/wk for 3wks plus 1 wk review). As a bedtime story read "The tale of Peter Rabbit" by Beatrix Potter. Ask the child to recall story in the morning, ask about the incidents and in what order they occurred.Tell child they will learn about A, like in gate. Show your child how to draw A, then ask them to draw a garden gate and letter A in it. On another day bake bread, and roll out A's. Gather sticks and make A's. Tell them a tongue twister, and have them listen for the A's.</p>
<p>*Math: Do puzzles and mazes with child. Next wk will begin the formal introduction of numbers 1-10.</p>
<p>*Creative play: Self-explanatory I would say.</p>
<p>*PM Hour:Science 2x/wk, Art/Crafts/Music 3x/wk.</p>
<p>*Science: Help child recall summer. Ask about sounds/smells/beauty/best experiences of their summer. Share some of your own. Help them draw a picture of summer for science scrapbook.</p>
<p>*Crafts: Make autumn seasonal table. Refer to First Book of Crafts.</p>
<p>*Music & Movement: Choose fingerplay/song and learn it with child.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
627 Posts
<p>Thank you Mittsy! Based on that, I don't think it's for us, not because it doesn't look good or interesting, but because it reminds me how I like to be 100% in charge of what we're doing (based on what their current interest/level is at the time) which is why I never bought a boxed curriculum for dd. I guess some things never change, lol! I do tend to be a bit of a control freak anyway, hehe!</p>

·
Registered
613 Posts
<p>tammy: Have you checked into Christopherus or A Little Garden Flower? We're just starting with OM, but those are my back-ups I'll check into if we find OM isn't the greatest fit after a while. Best of luck to you!!</p>

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
<p>NAK</p>
<p> </p>
<p>it is thast easy :) and don't forget the story / activity that is in the teacher book for science and math each week but thats it. I 'fill out' the week some using munipulatives or school-y toys/games  but that's all you need for K + a lot of good family time and cleaning/cooking/reading/playing :)</p>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts