Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaning towards oat milk being healthier than rice milk at this point, because oats seem to contain more nutrients than rice. Also oats are a good source of protein compared to rice.

Trying to figure which milk to use when making things such as oat porridge, quinoa porridge, rice pudding etc.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
It probably depends why you're having rice milk. If you're having it because of dairy intolerance. Gluten is the #2 intolerance, and oats are often cross-contaminated with wheat.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Which ever you decide on, be sure to avoid one that contains carrigeenan if your planning on daily consumption.

It's sometimes used as an additive in rice and soy milks... Even in organic versions.
You'll have to read labels to be sure.

Don't know about oat milk, though.

gl
hth

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
My DD2 can't have carageenan because of a food intolerance. Is it bad for the general population as well? I thought it was just a seaweed.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Why do you need to use anything other than water for cooking porridge?

Nut and seed milks tend to contain more fat and protein, and thus be more similar to the nutritional content of dairy milks. Have you considered using hemp or almond milk for those times when you truly do need a milk substitute? Oh, coconut milk is also very tasty and relatively unprocessed. It works well in things like rice pudding or pumpkin pie, but it's more like cream than milk, and needs to be diluted in a recipe calling for milk.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I am wondering the same thing.........

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Oat milk and rice milk are just water and a little oats/rice blended up. If you're cooking oats anyways it's a waste of money. Just cook with the water and add some diced fruit or sweetener/cinnamon or something

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Because then it tastes "watery", and we don't like that sort of taste to it. Also making it with milk is going to improve it by adding more nutrients etc from whichever milk we use. Oat milk and Rice milk both contain good stuff.

thanks for the heads up about carrigeenan -I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd go for almond or hazelnut milk, personally-- has a better flavor and consistency.

What seems to be the problem with carrigeenan? Isn't it just a sea weed?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by samy23 View Post
Because then it tastes "watery", and we don't like that sort of taste to it. Also making it with milk is going to improve it by adding more nutrients etc from whichever milk we use. Oat milk and Rice milk both contain good stuff.

Actually, what they both contain is concentrated sugars. And if you're cooking porridge in them, you're adding sugar to sugar. You'd be better off using something like a nut/hemp/coconut milk which adds some fat to balance all that sugar. Both nutrient-wise and taste wise, you'll get a better result than using a grain-based milk.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bella_stranger View Post
I'd go for almond or hazelnut milk, personally-- has a better flavor and consistency.

What seems to be the problem with carrigeenan? Isn't it just a sea weed?
When I mentioned it, I said that my DD2 was intolerant to carrageenan (and all forms of seaweed), which was in a lot of the milks. I don't know how it is for the general population since we avoid it for that reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts