Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to an amish town and i stumbled across a amish commons store where they sell everything in bulk I was delighted they had flours sugars whole wheat flour spices etc etc etc. I dot over 5 lbs of oldfashioned oats for less than 3 dollars. I dont have a good oatmeal cookie recipe they all have TO much sugar and come out flat care to sahare your recipes PLEASE

thanks a bunch
amy

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My MIL's recipe for wonderfully soft oatmeal cookies:

1 c raisins
2.5 tsp baking soda
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 c butter
1 c brown sugar
1 c white sugar
2.5 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 c oatmeal

Place raisins and 2 cups water in saucepan and boil for 5 minutes. Add 1 tsp baking soda, stir, then remove raisins and drain, discarding water and baking soda. Beat eggs well, add raisins and vanilla and let stand, covered for at least an hour.
Cream butter and sugars (MIL melts the butter). Add flour, salt, cinnamon and remaining 1.5 tsp baking soda. Mix well, then blend in egg-raisin mixture and oatmeal. Drop by large teaspoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 deg. F for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes several dozen cookies.

editted to add: I'm sure she uses white flour but I'm sure you could use whole wheat and all brown sugar.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Liz, I've never seen a recipe incorporating baking soda by that method before, and it has peaked my curiousity! Could you tell me how it works, as opposed to just adding a smaller amount with the dry ingredients? Thanks!
alsoSarah

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.