Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start pumping more so I can get out a bit more often to help alleviate my PPD.. so I am eating a bowl of oatmeal. I am sort of embarrassed to admit I have never eaten oatmeal before. LOL So my question is - how often do you have to eat it before seeing an increase in supply??? Because I dont really like it.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Well, a serving a day of oatmeal should be sufficient to boost your supply. I have recently read somewhere (I forget where right this minute) that oatmeal in any form will boost breastmilk supplies. It does not have to be a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.

You could make oatmeal cookies (I have a great recipe from the "Feeding the Whole Family" cookbook for a relatively healthy cookie) (or the recipe on the Quaker Oats box is pretty yummy). If you eat meat, you could mix oats into a meatloaf. You could try steel cut, or Irish oats which are a lot chewier and less like mush! You could buy or make granola bars which have tons of oats.

You could also try other whole grains, like quinoa or amaranth I guess and have similar effects.

·
Registered
319 Posts
oatmeal bumps up my supply two days later, so bowl of porridge monday morning=full boobs wednesday morning. having said that, i am prone to oversupply and from what i've read, I think oatmeal may not work for everyone, hth!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.