Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm planning a  May homebirth with a CPM who has excellent physician backup, in Atlanta...I, however, live in Athens, and am planning to give birth at my home, there, which is 60 miles from the hospital where her physician practices. So  I need a viable plan for transfer.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>While there are certainly some indications for transfer that would allow for an hour and a half drive, most certainly wouldn't, so I'm wondering how others who've birthed in the Athens area have arranged it? Any "official" OB backup? Particularly with anyone delivering out of St. Mary's?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you so very much.</p>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<p>Hello? I know that I'm totally new to the forum (am just a lurker) and that homebirth can be a touchy subject, but, no reply? At any rate, if anyone can help me get in touch with some moms who have given birth at home in the Athens area, that would sure be helpful. (My midwife is out of Atlanta, which is the source of some of my difficulty...) </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'll poke around more to see what I can find on here already, but any help or friendly face would be welcome. Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
378 Posts
<p>I have an OB that delivers at North Fulton (his practice is there at the hospital out patient office) that is awesome. Other than that, back up OBs for homebirths here are very few and far between. I have been dismissed from an OB practice for being a "risk" and home birthing.</p>

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
<p>you might try asking on the ICAN of Athens group, there may be some homebirthing moms there and I know there are a few doulas, and they would be familiar with the area :)<br>
 </p>
<p><a href="http://icanofathens.wordpress.com/" target="_blank">http://icanofathens.wordpress.com/</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>they have a yahoo group and a facebook page that are linked on there</p>

·
Registered
62 Posts
<p>This may not be helpful for you at all as I am not "in" on the homebirthing scene, however I did have a very positive hospital birth with the Midwives at Athens Regional in 2008. We no longer live in Athens and things may have changed, but they were by far the most natural birth friendly in the area (as far as the hospital birth scene goes) when I was pregnant. They might be worth checking out. They have OBs on staff that you never see unless you need to see them. Best of luck!</p>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>Thanks so much. I'll check out the ICAN website to see if I can locate any like-minded homebirth moms in the area...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As for the recommendation of the Athens Midwives, I can heartily second it, having seen many times first hand how non-interventive the births they attend can be. Unfortunately, their practice and ARMC in general don't accept my insurance...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And I really have always wanted to attempt a homebirth. The thing is, I'm realistic to know that as a first timer, I have a 20-25% chance of needed to transfer to the hospital for one reason or another, and would love it if that were something that could be more seamless than just showing up, in labor... Alas, in America, these things aren't as simple as they are in Europe.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I do genuinely appreciate the help.</p>

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
<p>I just birthed with ARMC in December and had a great experience.  They didn't offer pacifiers or formula (although they gave me the formula bag).  They didn't try to talk me into the eye goop, vit K or Hep B. </p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<p>You may have to be creative about how you arrange a back up arrangement. Most of the practices in Athens do not currently provide public support for midwifery of any kind. There is one private practice in town that currently has CNMs and they have privileges at St. Marys.</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts