Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>So I just found out I'm pregnant! I have been so consumed with trying to get pregnant, that I haven't a clue as to what to do next. I do have an appointment with my general practitioner on Wednesday, but she can't be my doc for my pregnancy. Any advice about choosing a practitioner?</p>

·
Registered
408 Posts
<p>I think it all depends on what you picture your ideal birth to be. Hospitals tend to be very medicalized and intimidating, but a doula can certainly make that experience easier. Birth centers can be a nice in between as the environment is made to be closer to home and more laboring options are available. Home is most likely the safest and warmest place you'll feel. Do you want a completely unmedicated birth? Do you want to have the least amount of worry about "forced" interventions? Do you want interventions readily available (from pain meds, epidurals, vaccuums, or surgery)? Do you trust your body and its innate ability to birth a child? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>There are many questions to ask yourself as you decide. I'd start with how you would imagine your ideal labor, delivery, and postpartum time then you might be able to get some more feedback. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Well, ideally I want to go as naturally as possible... and I want to have choices rather than decisions made for me. I do have fibromyalgia... so my pain tolerance can be on the low side. So, while I'd like an unmedicated birth, I'm aware that I may be begging for something when labor hits.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Home is a comfortable option, but then again, I think that I might worry over the mess too. I'll check out birthing center options and see how I feel about those.</p>

·
Registered
423 Posts
<p>Tickle! I'm not comfortable with a home birth because we are 40 minute drive to a good hospital if we had an emergency. I would have liked a birth center, but the only one in our state is 2 hours away so realistically a hospital is the best bet for me. I looked up different practitioners in my local area on the "your tribe" forum and saw that for my hospital a lot of people were not overly happy with the midwives. I'm just going to go with the OB group and they've been great so far. You could try looking over in your state and search to see what others say. I'm definitely having a doula, we have lots of options in our area and I really think a doula would be very helpful for me.</p>

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
<p>I think I want to be at home, because I'm uncomfortable with the idea of having a lot of people around me, especially strangers... But I'm kind of taking a wait-and-see approach, I have a meeting with a midwife on Thursday and I'm assuming we'll talk about whether that is a good choice for me or not. My old family doctor kind of freaked me out by telling me that pregnancies are "high risk" as soon as you turn 35 (I'm 36.)</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts