Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I asked my OB if it was safe for me to continue taking the omeprazole I've been taking for the last few months and she said yes, but now I am seeing that it is a category C and perhaps rantidine (Zantac) would be safer.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was just curious if anyone had experience with making that switch.  I don't want to hurt the baby of course which is why I want to switch, but my acid reflux is pretty bad on a normal day and I don't want it to flare up horribly.  I'm a little worried about the fact I have been exposing the baby for the last few weeks, I am already 8 weeks.  :(</p>

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
<p>i have no info on the drugs you mention and im sure folks that do will chime in, i just wanted t ogive you one good piece of info, your placenta does not make a full blood connection to you till around now or even a tad later, so in fact your baby has not really been exposed to much from you. </p>
<p>So figure out what you want to do and feel calmed that what happen last month will have little to no impact.</p>

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
<p>I think most drugs that are authorized for use when needed are catagory c.  I took Zantac my last pregnancy when the hearburn/reflux wasn't so bad.  This time it's horrible and Zegerid works so so so much better than everything else that I will happily take it for the rest of the pregnancy.  I don't even care that it makes my face puffy.  Without it I can't sleep.</p>

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>Adorkable that does make me feel better.  Thanks!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>PoppyMama, thanks for letting me know that.  I just read somewhere else that Priosec (which is omeprazole) is a B like Zantac, so now I am confused.  Ugh, I hate second guessing everything I do...but I guess that's just the way I am after having two losses.  Everything is like a major traumatic decision for me in pregnancy.  LOL.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts