Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard/witnessed/experienced this. That under Obama Care newborns are to receive RFID tags before leaving hospital? National Medical Device Registry from H.R. 3200 [Healthcare Bill], pages 1001-1008: (g)(1) The Secretary shall establish a national medical device registry (in this subsection referred to as the ‘registry’) to facilitate analysis of postmarket safety and outcomes data on each device that- ”(A) is or has been used in or on a patient; ”(B)and is- ”(i) a class III device; or ”(ii) a class II device that is implantable, life-supporting, or life-sustaining.” ? This was supposed to be implemented beginning March 2013. I'm pregnant now and seriously considering my birthing options.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The section you quote has nothing to do with newborns, it has to do with implantable medical devices - so if you have a pacemaker or a hip replacement or an arterial stent, it has an RFID chip that can be used to track and identify it and keep track of the type and manufacturer without requiring exploratory surgery to check the serial numbers.

My kids did have RFID tags in the hospital - the "baby lojack" anklets they put on newborns so that alarms go off if someone tries to walk out of the maternity unit with them. Hospitals put a lot of effort into not losing babies or having them abducted off the ward. However, these tags were external, and removed before we left the hospital.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts