Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, my 6mo DD came with me to dinner with my friend and her 1.5y.o. son. She called over the weekend to tell me that her son was hospitalized with RSV and pneumonia. She was reading up on RSV and found that the incubation period is 4-6 days. We are still within that range.

DD has been showing signs of a cold (or teething maybe) - a runny nose being the most prevalent symptom. She hasn't had much of a cough.

Is there a way to tell the difference between RSV and a simple common cold or teething symptoms?

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
My DD was hospitalized with RSV at 3 months old. She started with cold symptoms, but it rapidly (within the next day or two) progressed to coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. She was hospitalized after we noticed that she was using accessory muscles in her tummy and neck to breathe. DS has had it, too, and his symptoms were the same.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
My middle son was a preemie and I was really worried about RSV. I took him to the doctor once when he had a bad cough and said I was worried about RSV. She said as long as he wasn't having problems breathing, it didn't really matter if he had RSV or not because even if he did, is must be a mild case and wouldn't require treatment.

So I would just watch your DD. I wouldn't take her to the doctor with mild cold symptoms just because she was exposed to RSV. But if she gets really sick and has trouble breathing, then you'll know that it might be RSV and can tell the doctor that. I hope that makes sense and I really hope she doesn't get sick!!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
From what I understand RSV is one of the strains of the common cold. It's all in how you react to it. It's very possible your dd could hav the RSV but it will only manifest itself as a common cold in her.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information everyone.

I was hoping to avoid a doctor's visit because (1) our ped doesn't have a sick waiting room and 'tis the season for passing illnesses around in waiting rooms, and (2) our health insurance hasn't been activated yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts