Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone get their c-s operative report before attempting a vbac? I'm planning to switch to a new midwifery group and I was wondering if I should get this report from my old pratice? Does anyone know if I have a "right" to this report or if the old pratice might hesitate to give me the info?<br><br>
TIA!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Your midwife will probably want to see it - it shouldn't be a problem to obtain and I believe it is your right to it. What we did was just filled out a records request form which I had to sign and then my new midwife sent that to them to get the report. Doctors offices transfer records all the time, I don't think they take it personally.<br><br>
If you want to just obtain it yourself I could see it being a bigger pain just because its probably outside of the norm of what they do, but you still have a right to it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think about just asking to have the report transfered. That sounds like it should be pretty easy - I hope!!! Hopefully the new midwives will share the info with me. I'd love to find out what reason the doctor gave for my c-s. He said my pelvis was too small so I'd love to see if he actually wrote CPD or the catch all FTP.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>dlm194</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Did anyone get their c-s operative report before attempting a vbac? I'm planning to switch to a new midwifery group and I was wondering if I should get this report from my old pratice? Does anyone know if I have a "right" to this report or if the old pratice might hesitate to give me the info?<br><br>
TIA!</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
It is your right to have your records, they are yours. Request them, they are likely to charge you for them tho. Or have your midwife request them. I would also get anything from the actual hospital too.<br><br>
Kim

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would the hospital have a different operative report? I didn't think about that! The more info I can get, the better!!

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
I'm ordering mine right now. Call the hospital and ask how to obtain a copy of your records.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
what they said. Those are YOUR medical records, you should know what's in them. What I did was ask my OB for copies to give to my midwives, and made copies for myself before passing them along. Some docs charge you for them, some don't. But they are obligated to let you have them at your request, there's laws about that. What you want to look for is the post-operative report. That will have all the nuts and bolts and pertinent info you need.<br><br>
eta:<br>
the hospital will have lots and lots more pages, mostly nurses notes, monitor readings, and such, depending on how long you were in there. Your doc and the hospital will have the exact same post-op report and doctor's notes. Those are the important ones anyway.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You can get it directly from the hospital as well. That's what I did since my birth center didn't have a copy and honestly, I didn't even have the name/number of the back-up OB's office. If you're a patient requesting it, then they will charge you. My MW told me to just call up and pretend I was her and then have them send it to her so that it was free. (Yes, she should have done this, but I didn't mind doing it and following-up with it since they kept delaying sending it.)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I got mine sent too. I looked at it with the new provider and we each have a copy. It was cool to read. Now, I am going to call the birthing center and get my labor report. I just can't remember how long it took to dilate , when I entered the tub, etc. I find all this stuff facinating. I think having the info can be very helpful for the new provider, and for you too. After reading my cs report, I feel even more confident that a VBAC is in my future.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info!!! Thanks!! I am definitely going to call the hospital. I didn't even think about all the nurses notes and such. I was so sick and out of it while in the hospital that I can't remember when they started medicating me and crap. It will be nice to have all that info.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Within a week after my DS's c-section delivery I wrote to my OB's office and requested a complete copy of my medical records including prenatal visits, hospital charts and operative reports.<br><br>
This was in 1991 so I didn't have to fill out a release form.<br><br>
--Kari

1 - 11 of 11 Posts