Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. Thought I'd start a new thread for this week so everyone can update how they're doing.

The good:
My nausea eased up quite a bit during the middle of last week (though it was still undoubtedly present). This meant I actually got some work done. I got some housework done. I managed to exercise. Yay!

I also bought a Bella Band yesterday, though I don't really need it. It was super fun taking dh to the maternity store and fantasizing about future shopping. Plus, the person working there treated us like real future parents, unlike everyone else in the real world (since it's still a secret). Cool!

The bad:
Unfortunately, the constipation started soon after and by yesterday I'd been several days without a real BM (sorry) which made me miserable and seemed to make my nausea worse.

Otherwise, I'm doing well. A little tired, but the fall weather is making itself known, and since this is my absolute favorite season, the excitement is combating the fatigue. Hopefully I'll be feeling up to cooking soon, since it's the cooking that makes this season so great. Pumpkin!!!

Okay, sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading. How're y'all doing this week?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I've been doing great. The tiredness is easing up. I nap with my toddler in the afternoon, but no more barely keeping my eyes open until nap time. I also got a lot more housework done. Sadly, it's a never ending job here.

Oh, on the not so great front, I've been having sciatica already. I didn't have it at all in my last two pregnancies and in my first it started close to the end. I really hope this doesn't keep up or it will be a very very long pregnancy.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Molck - about the constipation, could it be your prenatal vitamins? I take Floradix, it's a liquid with iron and it doesn't have the same constipating effect. And Prune nectar seems to work within hours too. Last pg. I had an appendectomy at 24 weeks and for the following month it was AWFUL to have a BM because of the abdominal pain so those were my lifesavers.

Pam & Abigail - about the maternity clothes, maybe try Old Navy? I always shop at the used stores but never have much luck finding mat clothes because they're always L-XL when I need a Small but I found some great deals at Old Navy. I especially like it because winter is coming so they already have their winter line out and it will go on sale mid November/December so I can pick up some stuff super cheap (think Jeans for $7 and tops for $3) that will fit me in the last trimester

I also like their pants especially because they have the option of NOT having things over my navel. I can't stand anything on my belly, especially when I'm pg!

So today is our family dinner at the in-laws, I'm feeling very antisocial right now. I don't feel like seeing everyone, I don't feel like them mauling DS and I don't feel like eating turkey dinner lol!
Bummer, my MIL never makes sweet potatos either and to me that's a thanksgiving staple! Oh well, I'll survive and quit my whining.
Last thanksgiving I was very pregnant and spend most of the evening laying on the floor upside down with my legs up on the couch thanks to some awful pubic pain lol!

I felt miserable yesterday but finally got the energy to at least go outside and putter around. That made a huge difference! I didn't sleep last night again but I'm not really feeling it today. Hmmmm I think I appreciate this reprive!

Have a good Sunday girls!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little grey mare View Post
Molck - about the constipation, could it be your prenatal vitamins? I take Floradix, it's a liquid with iron and it doesn't have the same constipating effect. And Prune nectar seems to work within hours too. Last pg. I had an appendectomy at 24 weeks and for the following month it was AWFUL to have a BM because of the abdominal pain so those were my lifesavers.
No, I stopped taking them a couple weeks ago b/c I've been so nauseous. I have IBS (alternating between C and D), and I usually keep the C under control by drinking lots of warm fluids (including caffeinated tea), but I'm having a crazy aversion to warm drinks (and have been avoiding caffeine anyway). So it may just be a normal bout that's no longer under control. I will try to prune nectar, though. Thanks for the tip!

And an appendectomy at 24 weeks, wow! That must have been really hard. I hope things are going smoother for you this time.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Molck View Post
Unfortunately, the constipation started soon after and by yesterday I'd been several days without a real BM...
:

I'm now pooping every three days, on average. The weird thing is (and yeah, I'm telling complete strangers about my BMs), when I *DO* poop, they're not abnormally hard or anything. I guess that means I'm getting enough water and fiber, or something.

I had an AWESOME weekend. On Saturday afternoon, our staff was invited to a neighboring village for an Oktoberfest celebration (minus beer... alcohol is illegal here). I polka-ed, did the chicken dance, and ate German sausage. Good times were had by all.

Then, a friend/coworker and I chartered a three-seater plane from that village to ANOTHER village to go to a friend's birthday party. All in all, we were in five villages on Saturday... Nunapitchuk (where we live), Kasigluk-Akiuk, Kasigluk-Akula (we had to go there to catch our plane), Napaskiak, and Oscarville (Oscarville is too small to have an airport, so they use the airport in Napaskiak... we had to fly in there). We had LOTS of fun, and I stayed up until well past midnight WITHOUT A NAP.

Also... first snowfall was Friday! Nothing stuck, but it's been occasionally spitting snowflakes all weekend.

I apologize for any typos... the heat is off in the school, and the school is my only source of internet access. My hands are cooooooooold.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I had one bad day last week, then a few semi-nausious but nothing unbearable days, and today has been awful. Though, i still haven't actually puked, ive come close. I had to leave church twice this morning for air/water/ginger candy so i could sit through the rest. I am nausious & dizzy right now, too. It is reminding me of my last pregnancy so much.

I told my mom i can not eat chocolate. She was very sad for me.

Bought my daughter a 'big sister' tshirt today, the childrens place is clearancing them out at 4.99 right now. We got the last one in her size, I noticed all the others were smaller (6-9 months and stuff), and found that amusing because I'm a dork.

i am about to go to sleep, so tired. just wanted to sub.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The bad first trimester stuff is actually getting easier. I am not and haven't ever really been nauseaus. It is more that I have had some food aversions. I can eat beef again with regularity, but pork is still on my no list. And I will admit that the coffee tasted off this morning. Overall, I am more tired than anything else.

We did go and have fun this weekend. We bought an ATV with my folks and it can seat 5 people, so we took the kids out trail riding. I was the slow poke in the back that puttered along taking it easy.

I have an ultrasound next Monday, so hopefully all will be well. I should get to see a heartbeat.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Not so good. The nasuea has started and I'm pretty sure I have a sinus infection.

I have my first appt. tomorrow morning, and I'm looking forward to that.

Otherwise we had a good weekend, DH is putting laminate flooring in the family room and it's almost done. The boys actaully helped him instead of getting in the way too, so that was nice.

IT will be a busy day today, Connor doesn't have pre-school because of the holiday. I need to figure out something for him to do to keep him busy, that isn't too hard on me. I'm tired.

Happy Monday everyone!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Better! I am 9 weeks and a few days pregnant.

I had been having really awful morning sickness until just very recently. For the past few days I have felt kinda OK in the mornings! Still a little queasy, but actually not too bad. I am cautiously optimistic that I have turned a corner.

I was able to eat a lot of salad this weekend. It actually appealed to me for the first time in ages. Of course, the thought of certain veggies (peppers, celery, broccoli) still turn me off, but I was thrilled to eat something green ... other than lime popsicles and the parsley on top of my garlic bread

I have my first ultrasound this Friday to confirm the due date. I'm looking forward to it - I think it will give me peace of mind. With my first pregnancy I did not have an u/s this early and I worried a ton until I heard the heartbeat.

My belly is popping and there isn't much I can do about that! I need to dig out my Bella Band. I just have to find it ...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi ladies, I missed the last few "week" threads but want to join in now.

My nausea has hit HARD! I threw up a week and a half ago for the first time. Then I was just throwing up every two or three days. Saturday, it moved to every day with a constant feeling of queesieness and this morning is the worst yet. My husband is off and home today for Colombus Day, so that is a good thing -- he can help with the toddler and some housework. But it makes me feel like even more of a bum for him to see me parked on the couch with the laptop.

I'm supposed to hosting our AP playgroup here tomorrow (they'll get a messy house and hopefully won't have to see my throw up!) and we're hosting a tie-dye party this weekend. I'm so excited to dye stuff -- I got my toddler dd several cute dresses and outfits from Dharma to dye and got a few baby things, too. FUN!!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I'm still feeling queasy every day all day. I'm so tired of it. On saturday I felt great for some reason. Other than that ick. No food sounds good to eat but I'm still eating constantly because I'm famished. I feel worse after a meal... ugh. I can't win. This pregnancy is completely different from my first two. Everybody is telling me that means it's a girl.
I don't believe that but hey a girl can dream.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I am finding that the nausea is spacing out more...Saturday and Sunday I didn't feel nauseated, today I have felt it almost constantly. Of course, last night (Sunday night) I was EXTREMELY ill so that might have something to do with feeling off today. I have no idea if it was the rich food (my MIL makes really rich gravy and I always forget to watch how much I take...never again!) or a bug or what but last night I was running to the bathroom most of the night and in agony with cramping, plus I even barfed (this is a RARE occurrence for me, like once every few years, if that). Blah. The good news is that despite insane intestinal cramping, I saw no spotting...I spotted Friday night after straining for a BM. No sign of it since, thank goodness.

That is pretty much what's up with me. How sad that my life the last few days has been focused so intently on the lavatory! LOL!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well my 31st birthday is coming up on the 13th! :)

I am getting better with the nausea, although I do have to resort to taking one phenergan pill in the afternoon so that I can actually care for my other kids and cook decent food for them without running to the sink every few seconds with nausea... lol! I really feel like I am getting better though...cause I feel almost normal all morning until about 4pm and thats when the nausea hits me now- instead of the all day nausea I did have.

I will be 10 weeks on thursday and my next appt will be at 12 weeks for another sonogram...

I cannot fit into my regular jeans anymore... definitally have a baby belly...already..lol! The progesterone I am on makes me retain water weight/bloating too...midwife said I will probably loose some pounds when I stop taking it in a few weeks.... I sure do hope so cause I hate how fast I am packing on the pounds!

Anyhoo- theres my update for all my lovely preggo cyber-friends! :)

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Molck View Post
The bad:
Unfortunately, the constipation started soon after and by yesterday I'd been several days without a real BM (sorry) which made me miserable and seemed to make my nausea worse.

I drink a fruit smoothie every day, and I think all that fruit really helps with, uh, regularity
. During my last pregnancy, I added ground flax seeds, which I believe are also supposed to help with that (along with having essential fatty acids, etc.). Not doing the flax seed this time, because it just doesn't feel right. So far, all is well on the pooping front for me
. At least once a day, and I went THREE times today
: (where on earth besides a pregnancy forum would you share your poop habits?
). My homeopath/healer has me on probiotics and digestive enzymes, and I think that helps a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seren View Post
Oh, on the not so great front, I've been having sciatica already. I didn't have it at all in my last two pregnancies and in my first it started close to the end. I really hope this doesn't keep up or it will be a very very long pregnancy.
I had that at the end with dd and it was awful. I went to a chiro, who actually made things worse, but I think it was because he was a bad chiro
. My friend is due in a few weeks and saw a chiro with great success for her sciatica, so maybe that's something to consider. I think craniosacral therapy could also help with that ... it is definitely effective at getting the sacrum positioned correctly and straightening everything out in that area. I took a 4-day CST training workshop earlier this year, and the woman I partnered with in the class was 8 months pregnant. We did a lot of hands on practice, and after the second day, she said all of her sciatic / back pain was gone. If you're interested, I can point you to a website for finding a practitioner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
Then, a friend/coworker and I chartered a three-seater plane from that village to ANOTHER village to go to a friend's birthday party. All in all, we were in five villages on Saturday... Nunapitchuk (where we live), Kasigluk-Akiuk, Kasigluk-Akula (we had to go there to catch our plane), Napaskiak, and Oscarville (Oscarville is too small to have an airport, so they use the airport in Napaskiak... we had to fly in there). We had LOTS of fun, and I stayed up until well past midnight WITHOUT A NAP.
: What an entirely different type of transportation lifestyle you have in Alaska
! It sounds like you had a lovely time, though, and I'm impressed you stayed up so late without a nap! But snowing already! It was 90 degrees today in Southeast Michigan
(which is admittedly NOT the norm for this time of year).

Quote:

Originally Posted by aishy View Post
Bought my daughter a 'big sister' tshirt today, the childrens place is clearancing them out at 4.99 right now. We got the last one in her size, I noticed all the others were smaller (6-9 months and stuff), and found that amusing because I'm a dork.
I find that amusing too. I think there's a mama here who's baby was very young when she conceived again, but even still -- 6 months old and already a big sister?
: Maybe it's for people who are adopting!

s to all who are feeling crummy. I am still slowly feeling better (I will be 11 weeks on Friday). Not great, but better. The nausea comes and goes, and I've had a few close calls that were held off at the last second with chocolate ice cream (eaten out of the carton while standing in front of the freezer
), but I'm able to eat a lot more foods now, and even enjoying eating again some of the time. I took dd to the park this morning, and it wiped me out, even though I hardly did anything. My mil met us back at the house and fed dd lunch while I slept on the couch! I don't know what I would do without her -- she is so saving my butt right now. It's great too that dd loves her so much, and they are really enjoying all of the time they're spending together.

DD is still hardly napping, which is really hard for me. If it weren't for my mil being over almost every day, and watching dd so I can nap, I think I would be out of my mind! I'm not sleeping that great at night (already up several times a night to pee
:, and having the occasional bout of insomnia), so those naps are really needed!

I see my midwife for my first prenatal tomorrow. She is so great, I'm excited to see her.

Well, I'm going to try to get to bed at a decent time tonight (is 11 PM still considered decent?
), so I'm off ...

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanana View Post

Well, I'm going to try to get to bed at a decent time tonight (is 11 PM still considered decent?
), so I'm off ...
If I'm asleep before 2 a.m. I consider it a victory.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a crappy-feeling weekend, but today was much better! I went to work all day, had artichokes for dinner, and Krista and I made butterscotch apple crisp and its in the oven now.

YAY for feeling better!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Well, ladies I'm feeling much better but not out of the thick yet. On Saturday morning I woke up with a terrible sore throat and could barely talk which nicely progressed to mass phlegm in my chest and lots of coughing.
: Anyhow, I've been resting and now have just the crazy coughing. I haven't even had time to feel miserable due to pregnancy because of it.

Anyway, I made a list about what I want for this birth and realized that I ultimately want a homebirth and will cancel my appt. with the CNM and transfer to the lay midwives. I am so relieved to have finally reached a decision about this. I am feeling really excited about being home and bringing our new sweet baby into our lives.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I started feeling really sick the end of last week - threw up once or twice a day for a couple days. It always seemed to be right after taking my B6, and once it was right after that and my prenatal. I'm afraid to take either now! I'm just taking my women's once a day instead, figuring that's better than nothing. And lately, I've started throwing up but then, even though there's food down there, I just basically have dry heaves and it's over.

I'm also constipated. Then again, all I seem to be able to eat are refined carbs. I haven't had a salad in days. I have managed to get in some other veggies at least.

And dh and I can't agree about whether I am showing. I think I am, he thinks I just haven't done enough tummy exercises the past few months.

Clothing? I tried ebay, but it's hard to get a good idea of size and fit. I think I'm going to have to head to the big city for some shopping. That, and go to Frenchy's and get some things that I can alter on my own. I also found a pattern I might buy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Still alternating between great and queasie. Still tired, but ok. Had wonderful company this weekend, but felt so uninspired and draggy. Oh well.... Eating well... yawn. Looking forward to 2nd trimester, which I know from experience is MUCH more fun for me!!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.