Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else's dc *only* into destruction and mayhem?<br><br>
All day long, all my ds does is cause a ruckus; throws things, dumps, make messes, take clothing out of the drawers and strews them about, pulls up chairs to the counters, dumps water, etc.<br>
He doesn't care about any toys, or games.<br><br>
I need ideas. I just had baby #4 ten days ago and although this has been going on for months, it's much more apparent now becuase I can't jump after him as quick..<br><br>
He sleeps really well, still takes a 2 hour nap every afternoon, and sleeps at least 12-14 hours straight at night.<br><br>
I need game/toy ideas for a super active boy. What do your dc like to do that lasts longer than 5 seconds??

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 19 month old DD loves to pull things out also. Got to say it is the age. Have you tried a sand or water table? This allows them to dump and fill. I have also resorted to locking all cabinets and drawers easily accessible for an exception of two(Tupperware and plastic ware) that she is allowed to get into. I also let her fold (some) clothes. Her own basket! Yes she makes a mess of it but it keeps her busy. It sounds like he needs "heavy work". Fill some bags up w/ beans or cornmeal and let him move them about the house. My DD has a very large dump truck that she pushes around heavy items in. Many kids who need "heavy work" ( pushing, pulling, climbing and jumping) crave the dopamine that is released when their joints compress. When you are able to, encourage jumping on beds or bouncy inflatables. Have a place for him to "crash land" bean bag chair or pillows. Another thing my DD likes is to bear crawl "all four limbs" and to climb up the slide. These are all great ways to get joint compressions. May even try a tunnel to encourage him to crawl.<br><br>
Unfortunately I don't think "toys" are going to do it. Just encourage the behaviors he loves in a positive way where you are both happy.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes! he likes lifting heavy things and moving them around too (bags of rice, the kids' cd player etc). He is super strong for his age!<br><br>
I'd never heard the term 'heavy' work before, but sounds like something he'd like. I do have a tube I"ll set that up for him along with a crib mattress no one's using<br><br>
I don't have a water table, but i do have to take him with me whenever i need to use the washroom now because I can't trust what he's doing (despite the fully locked cupboards) and I let him play in the sink..<br><br>
I really should re-read Raising Your Spirited Child<br>
-- he is just NON stop..he's the most lovely wonderful amazing child but it gets annoying sometimes to never be able to just SIT.<br><br>
thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming

1 - 3 of 3 Posts