Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I recently flipped my DS forward facing at Thanksgiving before a long trip to NYC from Vermont.  He will be 4 in March and weighs around 37 pounds and is about 40 inches tall and rides in a Complete Air, so he could be turned back around to RF'ing for another couple of pounds.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Now that he is FF'ing, he is finding it extremely hard to get his bottom all the way back in his seat.  I literally have to pick him up and plop him back down every time he climbs in in order to get him back all the way.  His knees tend to want to bend over the edge of the seat, which scoots his bottom forward.  I am wondering what I should do about it other than turning him back RF'ing?  He is willing to flip back around, but I am worried that it will continue to be an issue in another month or two when he has to flip back to FF'ing again anyway.  I know it could be two months or another year, depending on his growth, but it just seems like an odd problem to have.  Could it just be a bad fit for him in that particular seat?  Do all kids that age/size have a problem scooting back all the way?  Is there some "trick" to getting them back?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>At this point, I am considering scraping and saving for a 45 pound RF'ing Radian if he isn't going to be able to ride safely FF'ing because he can't sit back in a seat.  ACK!</p>

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
<p>I don't think that slouching is a safety issue, but it might be a comfort one.  It'll probably cease when his thighs grow long enough.  My ds2 rides ffing in a CA and can scoot his own bottom back, so I'm sure it's possible for your ds.  He probably would be more comfortable with his legs criss cross or something too if they aren't long enough to bend at the edge.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But, if he's happy rfing and you're happy rfing, why not?  And when he hits 40 lbs you can flip him and re-evaluate.</p>

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
<p>It's just something that happens.  When dd was littler and her legs were shorter, she would tend to sit "criss cross" in her FFing seat, rather than have her legs dangle.  One thing you can do is get something like a styrofoam ice chest/cooler, and put it n the floor under his feet, to use as a footrest.  (something soft and light that wont be a projectile).  Sometimes having a place to set their feet helps keep them back.  Just be sure the harness is snug and the crotch strap is at the right setting, and you are fine. </p>

Reactions: Minxie
1 - 3 of 3 Posts