Mothering Forum banner

Odd Sore on One-Year-Old

680 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  CrunchyChristianMama 
#1 ·
My daughter has a very odd sore on her leg. It's right in the crease of her thigh in the front. It's about a quarter of a cm across and has a flat scab on it. It's red around it as well.

I can't for the life of me figure out what caused it, although it is right along the line of where the elastic in her diapers is (we cloth).

The thing that scares me about it is how sore it seems to be. She screams and cries when I wash it or try to look at it. She's not this way at all about the other "owies" on her legs from falling down and such.

It's been there for almost a week with no real change despite cleaning it and such. Should I be concerned?

#3 ·
That's a common place for staph. You want to know both so you can treat it (and she won't be in pain anymore or risk spreading) but also because you need to "destaph) those diapers.

#7 ·
We went to urgent care today because she's had a fever for 4 days now and the staph thing scared me. He said it is infected, but he doesn't think it's bad enough yet that it would cause the fever, no abscess or anything. We've got antibiotic cream though now to put on it so that it doesn't get any worse. Thankfully she is mid-potty training, so we can leave her diaper free when we are at home and let it get some air.

#8 ·
Is it bactroban (I think it's called mupirocin or something like that)?
That will treat even resistant staph.

Treat it like it's staph (handwashing if you touch it, hot wash and dry towels/diapers/pants that come in contact with it, etc.)

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Is it bactroban (I think it's called mupirocin or something like that)?
That will treat even resistant staph.

Treat it like it's staph (handwashing if you touch it, hot wash and dry towels/diapers/pants that come in contact with it, etc.)
Thanks. It is bactroban, so that's good to hear that even if it is staph we've got it covered.

After being on the ointment for 24 hours it's already looking a bit better and shrinking. We put her in sposies for the time being until we get it cleared up more because her cloth diapers rub right on the spot where the sposies seem to just miss it and keep it drier when we're out and about. I never thought of disinfecting her clothes though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.