Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/resources/very-heavy-menstrual-flow

I think I have figured out heavy periods are the cause of my iron deficiency (my ferretin was low at only 14). I have been super exhausted, low blood pressure (dizzy), and just brain foggy. I was puzzled as I do eat red meat (not a lot) and a few other iron rich foods. Am entering that apparently lovely time of peri-menopause too...

Anyone have any advice on iron supplementation? I have a prenatal one that is supposedly easy on the system (ferrous bis-gliconate?) and has some Vitamin B and C in it, and Floradix.

The Mirena IUD sounds like a solution....but mood side effects scare me (since I can feel a bit ragey or teary the day before my period starts).

Popping ibuprofen sounds good and my joints will like that.

I would prefer a prescription supplement (of whatever) since my insurance will cover that, but doesn't cover over the counter meds/supplements.

Any advice and info is really appreciated!

(I'm hesitant to post in public forums)

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
If you like tomato based sauces/meals, cook them in an iron skillet as the tomato absorbs the iron and you eat it. Far less harsh on your system and will not cause the constipation that supplemental iron causes. Do you use tampons or towels? If so, think about switching to the diva cup. It causes less irritation, resulting in less blood loss. My periods are 2 1/2 days long. I also have the Mirena IUD. Some of my friends who have it say their periods have stopped totally. I have uterine growths so I'm out of luck on the no bleeding front, but it is far better now than 10 years ago.

WOW, just realised, I haven't bought tampons/pads for 10 years! Still using the same diva cup. How much money have I saved???

Reactions: shantimama

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I remember researching this a bit while pregnant but it's been so long I forgot a lot of the details. I remember there was an issue with most iron supplementation. I want to say it was taxing to something (maybe the liver) but I totally forget. I would try a search to some of the pregnancy boards to see if anything pops up.

I remember iron skillets were something that has been mentioned in the TF forums.

I'm in a similar board with periods as I've had issues with my hormonal shifts ever since dd was born. My theory it was from all the years of the bill and getting pregnany so closely afterward. It tends to present itself as chin acne. I was thinking of trying acupuncture for it. I had tried herbs like black cohosh, vitex, and one other but the ones that really affected my hormones like vitex just seemed to bandaid the situation like bcp would have. I had a lot of circulation issues with bcp so even mirena scares me.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I take MegaFood's Blood Builder, which is all vegetable based (it tastes like blood =P) I've also had fairly heavy periods my whole life and been borderline anemic most of that time (and haven't eaten red meat since I was a teen) When I was first trying to build up past the point of anemia, I took a double dose (1 tab twice a day) for a month or 2, but now I only take it for 7 - 10 days starting around when my period starts (which a much lighter but more often now) It's really helped :)

eta - I've had zero issues with constipation with the Blood Builder - actually haven't noticed any digestive change at all while taking it. Conventional iron supplements bound me up like crazy.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions - I will look those blood builders up. I have a cast iron fry pan. Also have a 5 yr old Diva cup I haven't used since then....I wonder how long they are supposed to last?

Rubelin - did your lab results also change after your supplementation program...or was it more that you felt better?

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
it was just borderline & varied through the month so wsn't ever flagged by my Dr, but i feel hugely better in the 4 or so yrs since supplementing

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great to hear you feel better.
I also have low blood pressure (goes up to normal at Dr. Office, lol) and feel dizzy....wonder if that is related to low ferretin?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I've been anemic on and off in my life.

Vitamin B12 deficiency can also play a major roll in anemia.

Chronic inflammation can play into heavy periods. Vit D3 has helped me decrease inflammation by a TON. My periods are much lighter now that I'm not deficient.

Nutrigold's organic soy-free Vitamin D3 is an amazing and inexpensive supplement I've found that helps decrease my chronic inflammation along with magnesium supplements and taking Miracle 2000 liquid mineral multivitamin supplement.

I also take a sleep med for narcolepsy that consolidates my sleep and helps increase my growth hormone. Since I started it, my periods have been very regular. Some people get growth hormone shots and find they sleep much better, which allows the body to produce other hormones properly.

I use the Diva cup, too, and am glad to see someone else suggested it. It has basically alleviated my cramps and discomfort. I put it in this month because I was feeling crampy before my period started, and it helped. Plus it's so much more clean!! No more buying tampons or thick pads, or related irritation or yeast infections. No odor!! My periods seem gradually lighter, though when I slack off with the supplements, they get heavier again. .

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I take vitamin D3 too. I use superior source which is in a lactose base with a little bit of stevia. I like that's something easy to give dd that isn't sugar ladden. It's in a similar form to homeopathy pills so it just sort of melts. If you use D3 supplements remember to use K2 with it and take them with fat. I use the same brand for K2.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I looked for that blood builder but couldn't find it locally. Supplements are just so damn expensive....it's not in my budget, but I'm just going to make it happen. It's hard to know what is good and what isn't. I should ask the dietician I work with (who is very much into researching stuff). My understanding from my old naturopath is that certain supplements absorb better, with liquid being ideal. Hard pills are basically useless she said.

So on my last cycle, at the first sign of cramping I started my Vitamin I (Ibuprofin) regimen....basically taking the max daily dose allowed until cramping and flow almost gone. It worked! Lightest flow ever. And my joints felt great. I've also started a supplement routine of iron (the one I got has zinc, copper, folate, B12, C, B6 in same capsule), and it is Ferrous bisgycinate chelate 9 mg - it's supposed to be easier on the gut. When it runs out, I have a bottle of Floradix. I'm getting whatever is on sale. And I bought some blade roast and made a wicked stew that the kids actually liked (red wine in it hee hee). There is a farm nearby that sells grass fed beef, so I might order some of their meat (it's more expensive, but I would feel better knowing what the cows were fed and how they were treated - I grew up on a small family farm and it's not that hard to raise beef naturally...you just don't make a big profit).

At night I am taking natural calm with magnesium/calcium/D3 (in a 3:2:1 ratio). It also has vitamin C and boron and is stevia sweetened. I wanted to avoid artificial crap stuff. My muscles are going rigid with painful trigger points. I hope the magnesium helps. Also been eating more nuts lately.

Sigh....I used to eat so well. I thought I was doing ok not being so obsessive about healthy food and supplements...but now I think my body is telling me to behave better. I can't keep living this way, a walking zombie with unpredictable energy.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
AG, I'm so glad I saw this thread. I just got blood work back that has my iron really low as well-my ferritin was at 4! I am taking the chelated iron too, though it still makes me a little nauseous. I'm just so tired and brain foggy all the time, I'm hoping the iron supplements make a difference, and I'm back on vitamin D3 as well. I'm going to read through this thread more carefully later, looks like there are lots of good tips!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts