Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh lord. . .I am horrible. Seriously. Horrible. I was not even that far away and it really did just take an instant. He rolled over and fell face first onto carpeted floor. He cried a little. He seems OK. He DID throw up once then acted like he was going to throw up again, but didn't. Called the nurse on call and she said if he does throw up a second time to take him to the ER. I am suppose to wake him up every few hours at night to make sure he can fully waken and recognize me.

I AM SO MAD AT MYSELF!!! I AM SOOOOOOO STUPID!!!!!!

Seriously. . .the doctors should have given the child to a different mother in the hosptial.

The worst part is that this was just the icing to the awful day we had. We went to the doctor and realized we have a sinus infection. We had an allergic reaction to yogurt. We missed a nap because I had a eye doctor's appointment.

I hope he is fine. Oh!! My husband just got home.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

So sorry that happened. I hope your babe is feeling better.

This is my 3rd baby and the first NOT to have fallen off of anything (yet). If every baby who ever fell off of something (bed, changing table, chair) had to be given to another parent, there would be a lot of baby-switching going on! Thankfully, it was a carpeted floor and not wood or tile. Don't beat yourself up about it, though. These things do happen.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
You are not a bad parent! I have turned corners (or doorframes) to sharp and banged little heads into the corners. DH has lifted both of our oldest up and banged them into the ceiling (he will do this with DD soon enough, she is only 4 months now). I have been playing with the kids in the water and accidentally dunked them. The list can go on and on......... We all do these things. Oh here is another one, when my first DD was a baby I thought it would be a great idea to rinse her off with the sink sprayer. Well I did not check the temp of the water and it was sooooooo HOT. Needless to say that lesson was learned.

Hope your little one is ok.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
dont feel bad, ds has fallen off the bed, hit his head on the floor when falling back from sitting up, fallen off the couch......hit walls .......now that hes crawling hes hitting everything.

just keep an eye on him, but im sure hes fine

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
*hugs* Mistakes happen. You're not a bad mama!

·
Registered
586 Posts
that sneeky little baby. don't feel bad, falls happen ALL THE TIME. my dd rolled off the coach right next to me, but she landed on her butt in the sitting position. she didn't get hurt but it sure did suprise her and she cried like life would never be the same. hope you and your baby feel better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Please don't feel bad at all. You're not a bad mamma. Accidents happen all the time. You just have to take it as a lesson learned, as I'm sure you will. I hope you & babe are feeling much better

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel38
If every baby who ever fell off of something (bed, changing table, chair) had to be given to another parent, there would be a lot of baby-switching going on!
:

It happened. Now you know that he can roll off the changing table, you'll be prepared for next time, so remember it and move on.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
You are not a bad momma. Most people either drop their kids or the roll/fall off of something when they are babies. Most just don't admit it. I was getting ready to go out one day, put dd in her bucket but for some strange reason did not strap her in it. I picked up the bucket and she slid out and fell on the hardwood floor. (she fell about 6 inches, onto her face) She was not hurt, but she was very scared. She was 6 weeks old at the time. Poor thing.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Babies are sturdier than you would think...as we have all learned the hard way

Seriously though, you feel terrible when it happens but especially as a new parent things take you by surprise sometimes. You don't know they're going to roll/slide off from where they are, or that they're going to lean out of the sling and bang their head on a doorframe, etc. I always used to say to my son, "Sorry sweetie, I'm new at this still." He's almost 3 now and doesn't have any permanent scars...

·
Registered
965 Posts
It's hard not to beat yourself up!!

May I ask how old your baby is?

I am a new mama and I keep worrying this will happen to my baby, that one day he will just be able to roll over and boom.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
You're not officially a bad parent, you're officially a parent. Seriously, it has happened to 99% of us (the other 1% are just lucky). Like the pps said, you learned from the incident, falls happen (likely will happen again from some other place like the bed), just keep an eye on the babe for the next day or so.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Here is my confession... ellie has fallen off the bed twice, that means two bumps on the head and a black eye.

she is fine, she was scared.

my mil told me, this is just the beginning. if we can try to not beat ourselves up over it, we'll be better off.... or else we'll be doing it for the rest of this kid's life!!!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Aww,
to you and your babe! It happens, though. DS rolled off the bed at 4 mos, face-first, after I took my hands off him for literally 5 seconds. He cried for a minute or so. I cried for an hour or so.
I promised him I'd never let that happen again, but since then, he has crawled off the bed countless times (we just have the mattress on the floor now, and he has since grasped the concept of vertical space!), fallen backwards and banged his head while sitting at least once a week for the last four months, and now that he's cruising I'm prepared for even more accidents. Babies are kind of klutzy, and these things happen.
When I was about a year old, I managed to escape from my crib and fell headfirst onto an uncarpeted floor.
: And I'm fine!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.