Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah. Laughable with four kids and baby allowed to come any time he wants to. Had a NST today and blood pressure was just above the normal range in to high at 123/93 and second was 120/90. I have a midwife appointment Wednesday, then a AFI, BPP and NST Thursday so I'm supposed to be on "bed rest on my left side" in the mean time.

Meanwhile, DH leaves for work before the kids come home from school and doesn't get home until they go to sleep so how the heck am I supposed to do that?! Not to mention, I AM taking it easy. The most strenuous thing I do is going back and forth for all of their stupid tests, otherwise, I'm pretty laid back and DH does pretty much everything.

I want to get off this roller coaster ride NOW.

Did find out today that my GBS test was negative so that's good news, but if I'm going to be induced for other reasons, anyway, I'm not sure an IV for GBS would really make a fig of difference.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
123/90 high in all, or high for you? Mine was 143/89 at the hospital Thurs night. They didn't mention it though-I just saw it on the little screen. Not sure what mine is normally.

I go back to the dr tomorrow. Fun fun.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Aw man, Asher, sorry to hear that. Is it the lower number that causes the concern since 123 isn't that high? (though I think I recall that is high for you).

Do you have any friends who can take your kids a day each or have some TV time since this is a "special" occasion? Wish I could come help out!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, it's the lower number that is high, not the upper one which confuses the heck out of me (and them). 140/90 is borderline, anything higher (one either #) is considered high. My normal diastolic is in the 60's or so.

I reference this chart when I'm confused.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medi...d-pressure.htm

I can seriously take it easy most of the time, but when DH is working, I need to take the kids to their little league stuff, etc. They are pretty self sufficient when they need to be.

Honestly, I figure this is just another thing that will put a big INDUCE ME NOW sign on my forehead.
And there's not much I can do about it. I took a 2 hour nap on my left side while DH watched the toddler before going to the hospital for the NST (granted, it's like a 40m drive there, but still!) so my BP should not have been high at all, IMO since I'd had a nice long rest before I left.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Man, I know how much bedrest sucks....but it will be well worth it if it will help keep your BP down.
As far as your parenting goes in the meantime....be as lazy as possible
seriously, that's the only way to survive. Lots of Movies, and saying "yes" to a lot of things. How old are your other ones?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My youngest is about to turn 4 (and will still take a nap with me every day!
). The older ones range from 7-11 1/2 and they are pretty self sufficient when they need to be.

Honestly, I'm more frustrated b/c they (midwives) won't even SAY what's going on and when I tell them any symptoms that I have that they tell me to watch for, they blow it off. So honestly, I'm just majorly confused and having a hard time even thinking it's any big deal at. all. Am I at risk? Fine, put me on bedrest. Am I not? Then don't make it seem like I am. Get together and figure out what you want to tell me and everyone get on the same page. *I* shouldn't be the one telling the midwife the next week what is going on and what the midwife the week before said we would be doing, going on, etc.

GAH!!!

And I stg I don't mean to irritate anyone that has been/was one weeks of bedrest. Did that with my first two as well and it does royally suck. I know I don't have much time left and it's not even the thought of actual bedrest. It's just pretty laughable when they themselves have me taking 40m trips each way 2-3 times a week for various appointments, one day of which I have to stay in town and waste 3-4 hours doing nothing while I wait for the next appointment.

Gah, sorry for the vent. I'm just irritated and want them all to get on the same flipping page.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
What about going ahead and doing "non-invasive" things to induce. IMO, it would be much better to have my membranes stripped then being on the fence with blood pressure. I don't know what the policy is there though about being 36 weeks and going ahead with stripping membranes.... Can you try acupuncture to go ahead and try to encourage labor?
I have a false sense of security though since DD1 was born at 36 weeks at almost 7 lbs with no complications. I know it is still early though....and you may not want to chance it.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I would see if someone could come check your BP daily. Our local volunteer rescue squad will do it....they just come by and check. This would give you a better sense of your own well being.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
What about going ahead and doing "non-invasive" things to induce. IMO, it would be much better to have my membranes stripped then being on the fence with blood pressure. I don't know what the policy is there though about being 36 weeks and going ahead with stripping membranes.... Can you try acupuncture to go ahead and try to encourage labor?
I have a false sense of security though since DD1 was born at 36 weeks at almost 7 lbs with no complications. I know it is still early though....and you may not want to chance it.
I don't think they can even strip them at this point (unless things have changed a lot since last week). I was not effaced at all and only 2cm externally.

I'm on some homeopathics, EPO and sex, but that's about it. Babe has dropped since last week, though and I've had a lot more pressure and twinges so maybe things have changed...I dunno.

I WILL go with an induction next week if it's best for babe and I. It's totally against everything I believe in, but if it's for a true medical reason(s), I will do it.

I'll talk to them Wednesday and see what they say. I know they want to see his bio-physical profile and AFI before deciding whether or not to induce, as do I.

There is a drug store about 5 minutes down the road and I can go get my BP done free there. It involves leaving the house, but still...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'm far from expert, but at this point, what is the worst that could happen if you did venture out to the drug store, or to drop your kids at their games? Go into labor? If that is the worst thing, I might smile and nod at the bed rest suggestion and do my thing..If they are worried that something BAD would happen, then they need to let you know about that...

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you are on bed rest for high blood pressure than the worst thing that could happen by doing too much wouldn't be going into labor, it would be blood pressure continuing to go up, which could be bad for you and the baby.

I may have mentioned this on another thread, but my blood pressure did rise in the last few weeks (I think from 100/60 starting out and now it is 110/80), and I am trying to keep it steady or get it down a little to avoid bed rest or induction. My midwife recommended drink a lot of nettle tea, and the following foods: cucumbers, wheat grass, watermelon, beets, garlic, onions. The nettle tea I drink iced all day long instead of water. After one week, it didn't go up, it didn't go down. I think I should be resting more but it is hard because I am still working and my life has a lot of stairs in it. It is worth a shot if you are trying to avoid induction!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.