Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people always post solids questions on here, so bear with me, because I have one too!

My daughter is a bit over 4 months old right now, and she is really showing interest in our food.

Before you all lose your shirts......! NO, I am not going to give anythig to her
:

I want to delay solids until AT LEAST 6 months. But I've been thinking, she is starting to sit on her own the past week, can pick things up, clearly looking at our food and I can see its not going to be far off until she is reaching for it. So, for those of you who have had babies with "early interest", how do you hold off? I don't want to say "no" to her because I want her to feel positive about food, but I don't want to give it to her before at least 6 months.

Ideas, opinions, comments, suggestions all welocome.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
i always thought that when dd watched us eat, she was more interested in the act of eating and observing us vs. wanting the food, so we gave her a spoon to play with and that usually kept her happy and busy. also, a cold spoon (dipped in icewater) is great for when they're teething.

sure enough, dd is almost 9 mos now and still not eating solids (she loves to taste fruits/veggies but doesn't eat them), so i suppose we successfully 'held her off'.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Give her a spoon to play with. Maybe even a plastic bowl as well. She's not interested in eating, she just wants to play with your toys

·
Registered
104 Posts
I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about giving a 4 month old a little food. Unless there is a strong family history of allergies, I really don't think it is such a big deal......

the thing i find interesting is that a lot of the ideas on mdc are based on mothers/parents' intuitions about their babies and where they want to head next.

personally, my baby, at four months old, was alread 18 pounds, added 5 inches to her height since birth and had a tooth pop through already. she was very interested in our food so i let her try it. and you know, she didn't spit it out. she ate it! i never replace a "meal" with food. I nurse her normally and then will give her a small little bit of apple, pear, sweet potato, or banana.

she is just barely 5 months old, but she loves to suck on the mesh food bag filled with banana, or cantaloupe.

it was my intuition that this was ok. just like pulling her into bed with me at night so we could BOTH get more rest.

i think it's nice to come to mdc and not get hung up on all the "rules" of society. my baby at 4 months was ready where someone else's baby may not be ready at 9 months.......

:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Quote:
I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about giving a 4 month old a little food. Unless there is a strong family history of allergies, I really don't think it is such a big deal......
mama, it is because it is very rare for a baby at 4 months to have a closed gut or to have enough enzymes to handle it. The digestive system just isn't ready before 6 months and it can harm your baby. You can read more about it at Kellymom:
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

I respect your decision and if you feel your instinct outways those risks than please feel confident. I just wanted to explain why many mamas do think it is a big deal. I think that a lot of mamas here educate themselves on parenting issues as well as following instincts. For me after I did the research I knew I could never give my children solids before 6 months, but that is just me

HTH!

~Erin

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
To the OP- a bowl, spoon and cup were great for my dd at that age. Then I added a TINY bit of water in the cup... good times....

-Angela

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I didn't hold out. The only one of my kids who had any interest in food early was my oldest daughter, at 4.5 months. She was sitting in my mother's lap, grabbed her spoon out of her hand, and shoved it and the food on it in her mouth (and that was just the start). I go by what the baby indicates, not by anything else.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Our pediatrician is all for delaying solids, and has only breastfeeding posters on in her office, NO formula company paraphernalia whatsoever. But even she said at 5 months that our second son might want to eat solids a little earlier. He was very big, had been sitting unassisted since 4.5 months, had two teeth at 3 months, etc. So at 5.5 months we did start some banana and oatmeal, since he was face-planting himself into our plates trying to get the food! (And no, he didn't just want to play; he always had toys at the table to play with during our mealtimes, and that was not what he wanted anymore.)
My older son was feeding himself meals by 7.5 months, when he was ready (bits of mango, dried cereal, veggie burger, etc.). But I had tried bites of foods with him at 4 and 5 months after pressure from friends and relatives and he clearly wasn't ready, so I stopped and waited.
I'd never push food on a child at any age, but there are occasionally those who are really ready before 6 months. You can always offer it and watch her response. If she's not ready, you can just wait another month or two!! It's not an 'all or nothing' decision.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You could give your baby breast milk ice cubes in a mesh feeder.

That said, I just read a book called Our Babies Ourselves, which is about how different cultures parent differently...it includes discussions of parenting practices in hunter-gatherer societies, for example. I was struck by how much feeding practices have differed across time and culture. Sure, breastmilk is the standard for all cultures throughout time, but societies have always supplemented with other food and there is even prehistoric evidence for other animals' milk being fed to babies long, long before formula was invented. Some very traditional societies start supplementing with food as early as a couple weeks old. Now, I'm not questioning what others say about digestive enzymes, etc - I don't really know the science here. But there has been such huge variation across human history that I'm not inclined to see the "not until 6 months" rule as set in stone. I have some sympathy for the point of view of being responsive to your baby if they seem to be ready earlier...however, I do agree that sometimes what seems like interest is just a desire to bang a bowl and spoon around.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the different suggestions! We have tried toys, bowl and spoon, etc. She also, like a PP said, is 17 pounds, has added many inches to her height since birth and is in the process of cutting teeth. She really keeps eyeing the actual food. Anyway, I'm going to try the breastmilk cubes in a mesh feeder, that sounds like a good idea!

Oh and to the other PP, I've read "our babies, oursleves" as well recently. Its a great book hey?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I'm in the "don't wait for a semi-arbitrary date, follow the baby" camp. My DD was showing signs of readiness at 4.5 mo (grabbing for food, loved sucking on apple slices) but I waited until she could sit unassisted reliably at 5 mo before I gave her anything. Then it was just tastes until about 6 mo when we started feeding her "her own" food done in the babyfood grinder.

If you have to eat dinner in shifts because you can't have her on your laps during dinner and she hollers at you if she sees you eating, it's a good sign she's ready for food

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
My son did all those things pps have mentioned that made me think he was ready for solids early. I trusted my instinct that his gut wasn't ready. I was right. Even at 11 months he still isn't doing anything more than tasting. He just wanted to be included and see what all the hoopla was about with food. But he's not ready to really eat it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts