Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,730 Posts
Regular food poisoning will make you miserable but will more than likely NOT hurt the baby. Listeriosis on the other hand could. But it's typically found on unpasteurized soft cheeses, and I'm betting a chain like Pizza Hut uses pasteurized cheese. And keeps the bottles refrigerated (which doesn't kill listeria, but can extend the life of a product). Just because something's past its date doesn't mean it's dangerous. It's not a great thing to do on purpose obviously but in all likelihood you're fine.

If you get sick immediately don't worry. It's not listeriosis -- that takes a while to manifest symptoms, whereas food poisoning happens fast.

If you get sick after several days (to a few months, even), call your OB/midwife immediately. Antibiotics can help.

Here's some info on it:

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/dise...riosis_gi.html

I ate some bad feta (that had been cooked, so I assumed it was okay) last time and freaked out. Got food poisoning and was miserable for two days but no listeriosis.

Hang in there mama. And don't eat any soft cheese period. That's the best way to avoid this stress again.

· Registered
5,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
Thank you...
:

And don't think I eat there every day. I actually haven't eaten there in years (gee, wonder why.
: ) but my son who never eats anything saw a commercial and begged to go, so I obliged. And it wasn't until about 20 minutes ago where it connected that blue cheese = no no to begin with. Ugh.

Renee...the blue cheese dressing was in a small plastic individual serving container and wasn't refrigerated (it was shelf stable. Or was I suppose).

The really sad thing? DH's serving had been expired for *3* months. Yeah, not going to Pizza Hut again. Homemade pizza next time....
Ah right. Well, that sodium benzoate stuff is pretty dang powerful. I'm glad your OB called you back and was reassuring.
I was thinking when I read your other post that it was a sealed package plus it being pasteurized cheese meant the chances of there being listeria bacteria in there was just hugely slim. I'm so glad you're feeling better about it. I know what you'd going through. When I had that food poisoning I was terrified it was listeriosis. And swore off ALL soft cheese for the rest of the pregnancy. With no regrets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.