Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt motivated to feed my family tonight
so I decided to try two of my dad's best recipes. I baked a ham with an apricot/pineapple/ginger/honey glaze, and made scalloped potatoes. It turned out really really well. So well in fact that DDs 1 and 2 were silent during their entire meal (they're NEVER silent, even when sleeping
) and DH kept saying "seriously, baby...so good!"

And I feel I need to say this:

My name is Sarah, and I am addicted to Dairy Queen Heath Bar Blizzards.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sounds mouth watering lol I made scalloped potatoes last Sunday. I put diced prosciutto on top. I think I need to make them again soon.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
oooh, its been SO long since I made scalloped potatos and I just got given a bunch of baking potatos . . . . yumm. Care to share your recipe, Sarah?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
i made a pot of leek-potato soup and chicken salad sandwiches. DH had two bowls full. ds helped me make the sandwiches and then made a donut hole sandwich for dh and kept insisting that he eat it!

ds took the croutons for the soup and dipped them in ranch dressing, that was his dinner.
good thing i don't actually expect him to eat what i cook!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I LOVE potato leek soup! Never been able to find a good recipe though. Wanna swap?

Scalloped potatoes:
4Tb butter, plus more for layering
4Tb flour
salt & pepper to taste
2 1/2 C. milk (or 1/2 and 1/2, which really does make a difference)
6 medium potatoes
1 small red onion

Preheat oven to 350. Use a glass baking dish either with a lid, or have aluminum foil on hand.

Thinly slice potatoes, finely chop onion. Cut a few small pieces of the excess butter.

Melt 4Tb butter, add flour, salt and pepper. On medium heat, start to slowly whisk in milk. Add a little, whisk well...repeat until all milk is in saucepan. Stir constantly until you bring it to a low boil, then set aside on very low heat.

Now start layering in the dish...potatoes, a little butter, some onion, and sauce. Make sure you whisk the sauce before you add it each time. Continue layering until it's completely full and you run out of stuff. Top layer should be sauce.

Bake covered for 1/2 an hour, then remove cover and bake an additional 60-70 minutes, or until the top is nice and golden brown and you get the good crunchies around the edges.

Let it cool before you eat it, otherwise you're like my husband and want to see how quickly you can burn your tongue off.
And make enough that your DH can't eat an entire dish of potatoes in one sitting. Leftovers are good.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
i didn't bothering making the cheddar toasts this time, though, they are yummy. i just used some croutons i had on hand. also, i would never use anything swanson makes, ever. i use pacific brand organic chicken broth or my own homemade broth. oh and i used 1/2 and 1/2 'cause that's what i had here.

Golden Potato-Leek Soup with Cheddar Toasts

From Cooking Light
Yukon gold potatoes are the key ingredient to give the soup rich, buttery flavor.

Soup:
1 tablespoon butter
3 cups thinly sliced leek (about 3 medium)
6 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold potato (about 2 1/4 pounds)
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 (14-ounce) cans organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
2 thyme sprigs

Cheddar Toasts:
8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut sourdough French bread baguette
Cooking spray
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

Remaining Ingredients:
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Thyme sprigs (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°.
To prepare soup, melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally (do not brown).

Add potatoes, water, salt, broth, and 2 thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.

To prepare cheddar toasts, place baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 7 minutes or until toasted. Turn slices over; coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese over each slice. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle evenly with red pepper.

Remove pan from heat; discard thyme sprigs. Partially mash potatoes with a potato masher; stir in cream. Sprinkle with black pepper. Serve with cheddar toasts. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup soup and 1 toast)

CALORIES 299 (25% from fat); FAT 8.6g (sat 4.7g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 7.5g; CHOLESTEROL 25mg; CALCIUM 113mg; SODIUM 660mg; FIBER 3.9g; IRON 2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 48.4g

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2005

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yum!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you liked 'em!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.