Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.... I wake up today...and I feel very pregnant.
I got out of bed and did the hand in the middle of my back thing.
my lower back is aching and I am walking funny now.

When did this happen? overnight?
the sciatica thing is a bummer I hope it subsides quickly.

ftr I will be 20 weeks tomorrow. sheesh..anybody else suddenly feeling IT?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I got up in the middle of the night to pee (of course) and felt like I was 80 years old. I could practically hear my hips creaking. I could feel my pelvis spreading and had to half waddle-half stagger to the bathroom, hand on my back like you said. lol

I was thinking, oh geez, if this is 4 months, what is 9 months and more going to look like? Eek!

Of course, I LOOK at least 6 months pregnant already, I guess it makes sense that my body is acting like it.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so as the day goes on I realize this is not normal prego back pain my sciatica is killing me.. its getting worse I can barely walk.. so I take a hot bath and put a heating pad on my lower back and I even took a Tylenol..it got a little better.. I hope this isnt gonna be this way for the next 4 months....excuse me while I throw my own pity party.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm having the whole sciatica adventure, too...I keep meaning to call the chiropractor in town who deals with pg women, mamas and kids only...

It often gets worse with walking, though I sometimes try to keep walking through it...and not sit around so much. But, I'll have to agree that back pain is no fun, and I do hope it gets better...

Compound this with the fact that I tried to stop the anti-nausea medication and I've been throwing up again....still nauseous after all these weeks...I'm 18 weeks, and wondering if this is going to be an all 9 months affair. grump.

I hope you feel better!!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaxmama
so as the day goes on I realize this is not normal prego back pain my sciatica is killing me.. its getting worse I can barely walk.. so I take a hot bath and put a heating pad on my lower back and I even took a Tylenol..it got a little better.. I hope this isnt gonna be this way for the next 4 months....excuse me while I throw my own pity party.

are hot baths "allowed" ?? i thought there was some risk to the baby if you raise your body temperature? or maybe you don't take your baths as hot as i do!

i am just about dying for a hot bath now... can't sleep at night because of the pain, can't bear the thought of another five months of this.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
^^Okay, I'm no expert, and correct me when I'm wrong, but from what I understand, it's not as big a deal as some make it out to be. Basically, if you feel yourself starting to get too hot, you'll know, and you should get out. No, you probably shouldn't soak in boiling water for an hour, but the average hot bath isn't going to do any harm.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaspar
are hot baths "allowed" ?? i thought there was some risk to the baby if you raise your body temperature? or maybe you don't take your baths as hot as i do!
I have heard of 100 degrees being the magical number, but I'm not positive if that's accurate. There have been times when I have taken a shower and gotten a little lightheaded because I was getting too hot, so I would listen to your body.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I seem to remember hearing that 109 was the magic number for too hot for the bath... I've taken several hot baths (around 105) and they have been oh so lovely...

I'd say its more of a listen to your body thing though, honestly... it seems the science is rather fuzzy for what you can and can't do. And who can blame them? I know I wouldn't allow some scientist to put me through an experiment to see if Activity A damaged my baby or not.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My sacrum gets out of whack- I can pinpoint EXACTLY where and it is incredibly uncomfortable. Walking is actually fairly comfortable, but getting up- OMG. I'm even starting to get some tingling in my toes from it. Thankfully, I'm going to the chiropractor today. The once a month visits that have been working so far need to be increased!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I suddenly started to "feel" pregnant over the weekend... My back hurts, my hips hurt, and my pubic bone KILLS!!!

I usually have a rough time with my back because I have an underlying problem even when not pregnant.... I just use a heating pad when it gets too bad... Not that it makes it any better! But it is comforting...

Hope your back feels better soon...

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had all these problems when I was pg with ds. I wish I had known then what I have just learned in the last month or so...Mainly that sciatica and sacrum pain are mostly caused by the baby's position. You can change the baby's position. I had sciatica building a couple of weeks ago and did this and it totally vanished.

Get down on the floor, hands and knees. Lower yourself down on your heels (sit bones on heels) and spread your knees enough for your belly. Rest your arms over your head or at your side. Your shoulders should be level with or below your hips. Stay there for 20+ minutes. If you absoutely can't take it you can go up to hands and knees again and rock until you can go back down.

This position is very uncomfortable for a baby that is low and posterior, which is what is causing mama's discomfort. The baby will flip to anterior or at least on the side. I felt my baby flip after 15 minutes.

You might have to do this several times a day to teach baby to stay.

Also, consider your body position the rest of the day. If you slouch or sit on your sacrum you are putting yourself in a position where baby will slip back down and posterior.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.