Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in for an ultrasound at 16 weeks, then I needed another at 20 weeks because they need a good look at the baby's heart. So that was today. At 16 weeks I was told that the baby was a boy. And I was a little upset because I was so sure that the baby was a boy. SO. SURE. It's not that I don't want a boy, I was so convinced I was having a girl and started to bond with a girl. Anyhow I got over the shock and went on to try and come up with boy names that DH and I both loved. And to this day we hadn't settled on a name. However we settled on a girl's name early. At the 16 week ultrasound we were given all of the pictures, and the one of the baby's outdoor plumbing is so obvious, you see from l to r leg, non leg sticky outtie thing and leg. SO clearly a boy.
Now today. No boy bits! So the ultrasound tech is shocked and searches, really well, and nothing. Then the doctor comes in to look at the heart (which was perfect by the way, YAY!) and also checks for boy parts. None, but the classic 3 little white dots of a girl are there. IT'S A GIRL!?

A GIRL? I was okay with a boy. I bought a boy outfit because I was having troubles coming to grips with having a boy. I wanted something that would be the baby's so I could have something tangible. But it's a girl!

I'm over the moon the baby is healthy because there was a concern with a genetic heart issue. But all of this gender stuff has be so confused. I have to change how I think again, and how I envision my baby. I think I always knew she was a girl and that's why I couldn't agree on any boy names, expect the girly ones.

In any case we're not buying anything pink or blue, only the necessities in white, green and yellow only. I worry that there may still be surprises.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I'm so happy the heart is fine!!!

LOL though on your story...sounds a lot like my SIL, she found out she was having a boy at 14 weeks....at 20 weeks she found out it was a girl (and she was born a girl, so the second one was right). I think now you might just get to experience the fun and surprise of waiting for the birth! I always like the old-fashioned way better, the moment is just awesome that way.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True Blue, I didn't want the old fashioned way. I wanted to be able to plan and know who was coming. But I can really appreciate the surprise aspect and the motivation for it. So it looks like I'll get the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
720 Posts
My childbirth instructor from my first pregnancy told us a story that a women she was a doula for, had multiple utlrasounds t/o her pregnancy which she was told she was having a boy. Her toddler infatically referred to the baby as a girl and would get upset with anyone who corrected him. Turns out...Baby was a Girl.

I second (or third) the waiting for the surprise.

So glad your baby's heart was okay. Ultrasounds...grrrr.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.