Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I owe you all a great big apology because I thought ya'll were a little
and over reacting to the "smell" of disposable diapers. We use sposies on all the kids until Chloe came along and I never noticed anything, unless they were dirty of course.
But I am babysitting my nephew this week and he is disposable diapered, and THE SMELL IS HORRIBLE!!!
:puke It's this terrible, sickening sweet, plasticky smell.

I am soooooo sorry I ever doubted you all!

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Isn't it gross?? I used to think everyone was overeacting also. I mean diapers get peed and poo'd in of course they stink.

Then I switched to cloth and I was shocked, there is no stink! I used to be able to smell a poop in a sposie 4 rooms away because of that funky chemical smell, now I don't smell it at all unless I open the diaper or she is sitting in my lap when she does it. And pee I don't smell either unless the diapers need a strip and they have that ammonia smell but it's better than that flower covered urine stink of sposies

I am using the same diaper pail for my cds that I did for sposies and I can actually keep it in the house and not smell it. When I used it for sposies I used to put it out in the garage because it still stunk even when it was closed tightly and I was using a deo disk, I don't even need one now!

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
I agree ... it's pretty nasty after not being around it for a while. Ds#1 was in sposies and we didn't think much of it. Now, though, with ds#2 in cd's, I can't stand the smell of them. When I work nursery at church I have to hold my breath when I go anywhere near the "diaper genie" thing. :puke

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Nasty... isn't it??? I too didn't realize just how bad they smelled (I used them till she was 5 months old) until I used them last week while on a trip.

NASTY!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I hate the artificial-baby-powder-smell of packages of pampers. Going down the diaper aisle in a store is torture. I hated it so bad until I got a package of huggies at my shower. They knocked me down with the smell. Pampers smell the work IN the package. Huggies smell the worst OUT of the package JMO

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
ITA with all of you. I was out strawberry picking with DP and DS and it was hot and humid and I could smell this little girls dirty diaper from 15 feet away. DP and I were looking around trying to figure out what that rancid small was. I love that CD's don't smell at all!! I can't be near sposies now.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Close to the end of my first pregnancy I dutifully went and bought a package of newborn Pampers. My teeny apartment immediately had that chemi-powdery funk; but I quickly got used to it. (Except for maybe the poopy sposies. Blech!) Now with our 2nd in cloth (and our sometimes diapered/sometimes pottying first) I can't even go near them. I was visiting my SIL this past weekend and she had a huge piles of sposies everywhere. The smell was so awful, and it was made even worse by the open topped pail of dirty sposies. I wanted to vomit; and she can't smell it! Ignorance is bliss? No, ignorance is stinky!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have to second the apology....

I too thought the disposable smell was a figment of some cloth diapering mama's imagination......shame on me.

We've only been using CD's for about 6 weeks now and there's SUCH a difference in the house overall when we walk in the door! Not to mention the lack of smell when either girl poops - at least until I take the diaper off, but at least then, I can flush most of it right away!

So I bow down before the CD queens - you were right, I was wrong!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.