Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I would love to hear a theological debate between these folks & Jimmy Carter (reading his book right now & it's fabulous!)

More random observations:
~they actually have the 1st amendement quoted intheir masthead. Wow. Talk about a different interpretation!
~Is it good for marginal groups to go off & set themselves apart? The more "cultish" they become I think the less the can effect the mainstream (& me) or is it dangerous to let these folks continue to polarize until they become dangerous & possibly violent~ a homegrown insurgency?

Ponderingly, Maria

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Mr. Jim Taylor and Mr. Cory Burnell founded ChristianExodus.org in November 2003 as a response to the moral degeneration of our nation and the lack of any determination by the Republican Party to return our nation to its Constitutional moors. ChristianExodus.org seeks a return to constitutionally limited government founded upon Christian principles, and has decided that the best strategy for achieving this goal is to reform the local and state governments. To accomplish this reform, we will relocate thousands of Christian constitutionalists to one particular sovereign State (South Carolina) so that our numbers will make an effective difference in electoral politics.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is from their website. Italics mine. Yikes - I'd rather not turn back the clock here. I wonder what they mean by returning our nation to its constitutional mores?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Yikes! I am Christian myself, but I avoid these types, as they are WAYY to judgemental. You see, these people are the reason why the government should not be involved with any kind of church. There are many differnt beliefs and types of people in the world, and while some Christians may not want to accept it, it's true. Now, that doesn't mean they HAVE to accept their lifestyles, but they can't judge and condemn people. Christianity itself teaches to pray for your "enemies" and to teach the Word of God, but NOT to force people!!! That's a way to turn people away from the gospel!

If these people want to live this way, that's fine, but they don't need to intrude on other's freedoms. As you can see, they are exercising their freedom of speech by broadcasting what they feel on the worldwide web, and that's fine, that's their right, but other individuals of other faiths have that same right, and that's part of the beauty of America. We ALL deserve to have the same freedoms and rights despite or involvement or univolvement in any religious sect.

It's fine to be active in your religion, and it's fine to love Christ and and being Christian, I love God, but I also respect my neighbor who worships Allah, or my friend who is Hindi. I may not agree or believe in what they belive in, but that's fine, I don't have too, and they don't have to believe what I believe. It's a matter of mutual respect, and something that the government should and hopefully will stay out of.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
So, if they all move to South Carolina, there won't be any more Fundies in the other 49 states? Then they can all move to North Carolina while some Liberals can put things back to "normal" in SC?

I don't see how their plan is going to work- which, IMO, is a good thing!

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
i actually think this the mostest fabulous idea i've seen in a long time, and have long recommended my own similiar versions of this.

however, in my version, they do not get ONE freaking INCH of coastal territory. they can have all the plain brown endless flat fields that they want.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I love the idea of putting all the fundies in one state! MG is right, though...no oceanfront property for them. How about Kansas? Oooh, or North Dakota. Yeah.

What's up with all the idealization of the time of the founding fathers? Seems to me that if they actually met the founding fathers, they'd be appalled by how morally corrupt they were. Or maybe it's ok for rich white guys who hold government office to be corrupt and it's only a problem when the masses try to share in the fun?

Not to be too picky, Wombat, but remember that not all Christians are fundies. Some of us are nice and know how to play nicely with others, and even vote Democrat.

- Jess, the moderate Catholic who's doing her part to make VA a blue state.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by funshine
Not to be too picky, Wombat, but remember that not all Christians are fundies. Some of us are nice and know how to play nicely with others, and even vote Democrat.

I don't really hate all religious people.
One of my best friends actually, ACTUALLY thinks Jesus tells him to do stuff. But he's a cool guy to hang out with. It's just the people who A) tell me that my way of life as a family-loving peace-loving tolerant humanist is wrong, or B) beat the shit out of people who behave differently, irk me to no end. I say, North Dakota is too GOOD for them!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by funshine
I love the idea of putting all the fundies in one state! MG is right, though...no oceanfront property for them. How about Kansas? Oooh, or North Dakota. Yeah.
I actually did know what I was talking about. Jesus told me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.