Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll preface this by saying that I decided to post this here as opposed to somewhere in the nutrition and good eating forum b/c I think it's got more to do with having a babe around than anything else.

So a couple of days ago my body finally let me know that it's sick and tired of me being a jerk and neglecting to feed it, and when I do feed it, just offering crap. I was feeling very dizzy and weird and weak when I was at work the other night, and after thinking about it realized I'd barely eaten anything all day.

I tried to eat really well when I was pregnant, and did a fairly good job I think. But now that I've got a 6 mo baby.... well it's just not going so well. I wake up and it's baby time. I rarely wake up hungry and there's always other stuff to think about, and so I can go hours without thinking about the fact that maybe I should eat something. Or if I do eat something, it's usually quick and bad for me (read: sugary or carb loaded). I can't devote any time to preparing a meal for myself while ds is awake. Then I've always got 10 million things I'd like to be getting done while he's napping, and making my kitchen MESSIER is not on that list. I just feel like I can't devote the time and energy necessary to make sure I'm eating well, since it doesn't really come naturally to me.

So anyway, while our nursing relationship is great now, I'm concerned that I could end up with supply issues, or that supporting another life w/my body and not treating it properly could result in my life force being sapped completely. Ok so that sounds dramatic, but ykwim...

I'm wondering how you ladies do it? I imagine I just need to keep snacks and quick fix stuff available for myself, but I usually hate leftovers, and though I love veggies, I'm not generally not a fan of eating them raw(some vegetarian I am!). So that leaves me with maybe fruit, cheese cubes, cottage cheese, toast or cereal, nuts... ??

What does a typical day's food look like for those of you feel like you do an ok job without 3 squares? I'm just trying to get back some balance before I keel over.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I'm right there with you...I forget to eat - or just don't have time to eat - all the time. I really need to watch it too, because if I don't start eating more I'm going to lose too much weight. ANYHOW, I pretty much never snack anymore, but I try to make sure I eat at least 3 good meals a day. I do usually manage to cook something for dinner, and I make sure to eat a LOT of it. Anyhow, I do a lot of yogurt/granola/fruit; soba noodles (make up a big batch at the beginning of the week), sea veggies and a sauce (actually salad dressing!); lots of PB&J; those little pre-cooked quiche things you can get at Trader Joe's and elsewhere; and of course, drive-through burrito places (and ONLY if it's drive-through). Oh yes and Subway sandwiches, because my kids will actually eat food from there. ( I get a foot long sub for myself).

In essence, my motto is that when I actually have some decent food in front of me, I need to make the most of it and eat as much as possible.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yes, with a new babe it can be really tricky to prepare yourself good food and find time to eat it, and nursing mamas need to be well-fed!

With my first, I remember making myself instant cream of wheat cereal and buttered cinnamon-raisin toast for breakfast. Yeah, not exactly homemade, but fairly healthy (high in iron), quick to prepare and convenient to eat, even while holding a baby.

With my second, I would always keep granola bars handy. Those prewashed salads in a bag with my choice of dressing (keep the bag in the fridge, maybe transfer the salad to a ziplock bag or a tupperware container, and grab a serving when you want one), a quick sandwich, some leftovers heated in the microwave, string cheese, yogurt, a bowl of cereal, a can of soup (there are some good ones out there!), some toast (Ezekiel bread is filling and very nutritious) or a bagel, hard-boiled eggs (boil several and keep them in a dish in the fridge), cheese, different kinds of crackers, chips and salsa, dried fruit, a convenient fresh fruit like a banana, and so on. If you like iced tea or some other cold drink that needs prep work, make a pitcher of it when you can (or have someone else make it for you), and then you can just help yourself to some whenever you'd like during the day.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Fruit, fruit, fruit. That is sometimes the cornerstone of my diet. Throw in a handful of raw almonds once a day, a glass of milk, soy milk, or rice milk here and there, and you've made a diet of convenience foods into something that is actually kind of good for you. I still do the carbs - they're just so easy to do. But even then I try to make them count, by making my toast out of really good seven grain bread, etc. But I do count on fruit for vitamins and stuff.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Gosh, I'm always thinking about food. But I hear you about not having time to prepare it much. Let's see, I often eat about 2 full bowls of cereal (granola or something from the coop) when I first get up (fast and filling!), and then I usually make some kind of fruit smoothie or a snack from our neighborhood cafe later in the morning. At lunch time I try to have leftovers, or if there's nothing, then I have 2 pieces of toast and 2 or 3 fried eggs. (Yeah, protein!) Then I have to have a substantial snack about 2 or 3 times in the afternoon-- usually bad stuff like ice cream, and then at dinner my husband and I usually try to cook something healthy with lots of veggies. (Joining a CSA this summer, really helped with the veggie consumption!) I also take my prenatals religiously (Rainbow Light).

I don't always eat healthy, but I'm usually always eating. It's kind of fun because I love to eat, and I get to eat a lot more than usual. The baby just sucks it right out, so I've actually been getting thinner.
: Go figure. So Olliemama, go eat something! You're baby's probably sucking out all your reserves.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
it is really hard to get time to eat...here are some things I keep handy:

-single serving yogurts and cottage cheeses
-frozen fruit
-almonds
-granola bars
-fruit cups
-sliced cheese/cheese sticks
-crackers
-sometimes I make sandwhiches for DH the day before and make extra for me
-cook dinner early and have some for lunch and leave it on the stove until DH comes home (or put it back on) or use some of the dinner ingredients for my own meal
-and leftovers can be good with a little twist - I took leftover stew put it in the wak with canned sliced potoatoes and eggs and it asted awesome and totally fresh! (just an example - be creative!)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've really struggled with this too but have FINALLY found what works for us...

I like the other PP's, have started keeping serving sized portions handy - it usually means an hour or two after doing groceries organizing it all so I do it on the weekend when DH and DD can occupy the babe for a little while.

I LOATHE routine and have never been great at keeping one but I'm finding that to take care of myself I've needed to work myself into my day - I'm really feeling that when I take the time to eat, get out for a walk at some point in the day and keep water handy, that I've got much more stamina to deal with the rest.

When we wake up in the morning we throw the CD's in the wash and head to the kitchen where I generally eat either a boiled egg and toast or instant oatmeal - both of which can be made in less than 10 minutes. During this time DD is in a highchair right beside me, we listen to the radio and sing together and she plays with whatever kitchen gadgets are nearby (her fave is a spatula). I then drag the highchair over to the table or put DD on the floor with some toys and sit with her while I eat. All totaled, it takes up only half and hour to 40 minutes of our morning.

I tend to graze until dinner time so things like yogurt, nuts/trail mix, ready to eat fruit and veggies, pita bread and hummus are staples. About twice a week after she's in bed I'll make a couple of easy to grab 'lunch stuff' - most often rice with diced cooked veggies or pasta salad with seafood (shrimp and crab). Both are really easy and quick to throw together. I force myself to grab even a little something every time DD has a nap and carry snacks in our diaper bag in case we're out when that happens. If you make a routine of eating something at specific times (which I've come to do) then I find I don't 'forget' as readily as I used to.

Hope some of this helps!

·
Registered
745 Posts
In some ways, I have it better with a 3 yo. She will remind me if it's eating time.
I always eat breakfast-cereal, honey oat granola bars, oatmeal. If I don't, I drag all day. Lunch is usually a tofurky sandwich, peanut butter sandwich or mac and cheese. I keep fruit cups, veggie cups, frozen burritos, those Boca lasagna meals, organic cheetos, stuff like that in the house to grab.
Remembering to eat and eating plenty of protein is what I keep in mind.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't remember how I found time to eat when my first was little. So, I totally know the struggle. I agree with the PP that said her 3 year old makes it easier. I know my 2 year old makes it easier for me. I have to make him breakfast, I just go ahead and make myself breakfast... and lunch and snack. Then I cook dinner for the family most nights.

But - I eat oatmeal or toast pretty much every morning. For lunch, we have soup, grilled cheese (with whole wheat bread and quality cheese), lots and lots of fruit, yogurt, leftovers, etc. I eat garden burgers a lot too. I make a big pot of pasta pretty often and we have that a couple times a week too.

ETA: Oh and now that I have another little one, I often eat while nursing. Even if its just a granola bar, if Emma is getting ready for a big long nurse (like before a nap) I grab a snack, a drink (usually water) and a book. I only can eat one handed - but I'm still getting something.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
i mean jeeez! your husband has time to make quilts and cook for food not bombs? cant he help out with making food for you?
Um, that's kind of unnecessarily rude and presumptuous. He does a lot less of that now that we have a baby, and he's more involved in our ds than any other dad I know. Plus he's the one who cooks dinner every night. ...after cooking all day at work. But hey, way to be unsupportive and make me feel like a slag for struggling to find time for everything.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieMama View Post
Um, that's kind of unnecessarily rude and presumptuous. He does a lot less of that now that we have a baby, and he's more involved in our ds than any other dad I know. Plus he's the one who cooks dinner every night. ...after cooking all day at work. But hey, way to be unsupportive and make me feel like a slag for struggling to find time for everything.

Sorry you felt jabbed at, mama.

I think this is a real, important issue and I'm glad you brought it up. When you're nursing, your body is going to take whatever it needs to make good milk for your babe. So, it's vital to not only eat enough nutritious food so that you can make plentiful milk, but also so that YOUR body doesn't become depleted. I have a friend that did not take care of herself in this way and her body became really run-down and unhealthy. My dd is 8 months and I'm 5 pounds under my pre-preg weight (which was a healthy weight for me), and I'm finding that my appetite increases the lower on the scale I go. So...things that I'm eating that are both nutritious, quick, and somewhat calorie-dense: eggs (hard-boiled or scrambled), leftovers from dinner (it really helps to make extra for this purpose), sandwiches with turkey, tomatoes, avocado, cheese, bananas, cut up veggies, oatmeal, yogurt w/ seeds, nuts, and wheat germ, sometimes Lara or Luna bars. There are a lot of things you can snag and eat relatively quickly. Getting into a routine where you eat something when you and babe wake up and then eating at various points throughout the day helps. Don't forget to check in with your body in regards to hunger and thirst. I always have a bottle or glass of water on hand, too.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Whoops, just realized you were a veggie-- so scratch the non-vegetarian options and substitite with veggie burgers (I like the wildood organic brand) and tempeh, tofu, etc.

Oatmeal and fenugreek (an herb that you can get in capsule or tincture form) also help with supply, although I've found that my let-down and supply in general are best after I've eaten enough calories that day.

·
Registered
303 Posts
awwwww, sorry! i didn't mean for it to be taken so seriously

that's the thing about internet communication...so sorry

i totally understand, that's why i clicked on your post in the first place! and from the looks of it on oliver's cute blog, he's getting so much good nutrition from your milk! you should definitely be a proud mama!! I know it's hard to get good foods in the belly. I'm constantly complaining of a grumbling belly at 3pm when i'm having an exhaustion slump. But it is really important to note it and really try to get some good bite sized eats in when you can.

I know you'll figure out how to make it work for you, and there have already been a lot of good suggestions here for food and snacks.

my biggest prob is dehydration. i'm feeling my dry cracked lips right now as i write this!

nursing is tough stuff, and taking care of the self when we've got cute little babes to look after is easily left on the back burner.

good luck and congrats on your BIG little cutie

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
things i love that are super fast and not too bad for me-

cheese sticks
carrots (i usually dip them in something)
peanut butter (just a spoonful, the real stuff, not jiff or whatever)
salads. lots of salads. i buy the huge box of prewashed baby greens
dried fruit
granola / granola bars (i love the kashi dark chocolate cherry granola bars. so much.)

cereal is my guilty pleasure. i eat it atleast once a day. but atleast it replaced my half a roll of cookie dough a day, right?

i also keep my two SIGGs rotating in and out of the fridge so i always have a cold bottle of water.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
awwwww, sorry! i didn't mean for it to be taken so seriously
that's the thing about internet communication...so sorry
It's ok, sorry I totally overreacted without taking into account how great the internet isn't at conveying tone and all that. Anyway,
and sorry for flipping out.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and moral support.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I've got some great ideas thanks to you mamas, and a shopping list, so now I'm going to take a crack at eating like a somewhat normal person again.

·
Registered
641 Posts
ugh, i've been dealing with this problem, too! pp's have already given so much great advice! here's what a normal day looks like for me:

breakfast: some kind of nutty/raisin/bran cereal, grapes and yogurt (yummy for dipping and super fun for dd#1!), or some cinnamon raisin bread.

snack: granola bar

lunch: soup/sandwhich. our favorite is chicken and cheese quesadillas, made with chives and good cheese, you can omit the chicken! our quesadilla maker is one of the best things we've ever bought!!! we use it ALL the time for different 'melties', as we call anything squished between tortillas and held together with cheese.

snack: some kind of veggie or fruit, usually raw with dip. sometimes i'll make steamed veggies the night before to warm up quickly the next day when i'm starving.

dinner: whatever we make for us we make for dd#1, which means it's always healthy! protein and veggie-fied to the max!

i'm a big fan of making big meals all week long for a week or so and freezing individual portions for the following week. i always appreciate having a ready-to-go snack or meal of our favorite meals!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I did a poor job of eating for the first seven months or so. I currently weigh about fourteen pounds less than I did when I first got pregnant, and I was pretty thin to begin with!

The good news is, I've got a great excuse to eat healthy foods now - DD is eating what I eat. She's 9 months old and eating tons of solids from my plate. So I make sure I fix myself a healthy lunch and a healthy dinner, because I'm sharing with her. Lunch is usually fruit and cheese and bread or crackers, and dinner is usually a meat and a couple of vegetables, plus sometimes some starch.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
The good news is, I've got a great excuse to eat healthy foods now - DD is eating what I eat. She's 9 months old and eating tons of solids from my plate.
We'll probably be there soon, too. I'm looking forward to that. Not only will it be a natural time for me to sit and eat while ds does, but it'll definitely not be crap food. It's easy for me to goof off when it comes to what I'm eating, but I'm not going to give him anything but good wholesome food for as long as possible.
So that's what we'll have around. <sigh> I love baking too, so I guess I'll soon be saying sad goodbyes to yummy vegan cupcakes. But it's a good thing. I'll have no choice but to eat better. Things are looking up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.