Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally hopefully
: getting another dog within the next week. We turned in an application for a beautiful and sweet (probably 4 mo) puppy at the Shelter today. The lady said our application looks really, really good. There are three other people who have also applied for her so there's a chance we won't get her.
I know she'd pick us though, I can tell.

Anyway, I have a 19 month old female dog as well. She *loves* other dogs. I think she will be very excited. She's never had a problem w/any dog except my cousin's totally untrained pit/boxer who was scaring and hurting her at the dog park once (never had a playdate with them again!).
: So, I can't see them not getting along or my dog being agressive w/the pup at all. It's a girl and she tends to be more drawn to girl dogs anyway.

So my question is when can I start leaving them alone together? Just alone together in the same room and then alone together out side etc.?

Oh, and any other wisdom about adding a second doggy to the family would be welcomed too.
If we don't get this little girl (which I'll be really, really sad if not...it just feels like she's our dog somehow) we are still planning on getting another dog for us and for our dog.

TIA!

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Ok, I usually suggest you take your dog to meet this dog at a neutral place--so a park on the way home or something. Then go home, try the backyard, then in the house--if you have no issues with any of those things (as in them being together supervised) then you can leave them unattended after a week or so.

Otherwise, eventually they will sort things out on their own but in the beginning help your present dog maintain alpha (it will help prevent her nose getting out of joint) Allow her to eat first, go through a door first, be petted first, etc.

Let me know if you need anything else, but it doesn't sound like there should be a problem.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am planning on introducing them at a dogpark (one that will most likely be empty).

Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218
in the beginning help your present dog maintain alpha (it will help prevent her nose getting out of joint)
Will do.

Thanks so much Shannon!
You're awesome to keep helping everyone like this. I feel like we should be paying you. :LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts