Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>On days like today I think it will never end! Whenever DS cannot have a certain thing (food, object) or I ask him to stop something (kicking me, hitting the cat, breaking stuff) he will not react to gentle requests, not to firm requests, no, only if I raise my voice and then he gets mad that he cannot have/do it and throws a tantrum. The past weeks DH has barely been home, I've dealt with a rather exhausting pregnancy so far and DS refused to nap the past couple days. He clearly needs his nap because he gets cranky in the afternoon and early evening, but he just won't.</p>
<p>I don't know why he started to hit or kick or bite (though it is getting less), because we don't hurt each other in this house, so I really wonder where he learned the concept (he is not in daycare, doesn't watch TV that is violent or anything). It is just that he decides to scream madly whenever he does not get his way. I'm sooooo sick of this! And no, no strategy mentioned here before helps, especially since he doesn't talk, and we have a speech therapist coming (he was evaluated as very smart and ahead with everything but active speech, e.g. his receptive speech tested a year ahead), but she also noticed that he clearly has no interest in talking. You have to push him hard to just imitate one letter. He will not talk unless he will not get what he wants, which is super hard on me emotionally and hard on him because he could communicate what he wants if he just chose to talk. Sooooooo frustrating. He also doesn't care for signs much, only uses words or signs when he wants something BADLY (e.g. a piece of chocolate).</p>
<p>With what other strategies than time-ins and talking to your toddler did you get lucky? Will he ever understand that I won't give in (no, you can't kick me, and no, we are gentle to the cat and when we throw toys they go away for a day, that won't change)?! Arrrgh.</p>

·
Registered
373 Posts
<p>I don't have a lot of experience with most of what you wrote about, but my DD went through a phase where she would kick her legs every time I had her on the changing table and she usually ended up kicking me. I tried asking her nicely to stop and I tried holding her legs and asking nicely. I even raised my voice a few times and yelled, but she always laughed like it was a game. I always explained to her that you can hurt people when you kick, but it didn't stop her. I started pretending like she had hurt me whenever I got kicked. I didn't do anything huge, just held my arm or wherever I got kicked and made a sad face and said, "That hurt. You hurt mama when you kick." That put a stop to it pretty quickly. Now she apologizes if she accidentally hits me or steps on my foot or something. I always tell her it's okay because it was an accident. Sorry I can't be more help with the other issues, but maybe this will help you solve this one! Good luck!</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts