Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I feel sorry for all the Ohio-ians and their hard earned tax money getting wasted like that. A 300 difference.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Cliff Arnebeck, an attorney representing the voters in the challenge, wasn't taking much stock in the recount effort. He questioned why there was no independent investigation into the accuracy of counting machines to determine whether the machines had been tampered with.

"You're allowing the original error to be repeated a second time, so it's not a meaningful recount," he said.
So, the recount was done on machines, and not by hand? If the machines were the problem in the first place, why would they do this?

As I recall, the first WA recount was also done by machine, and the second by hand, with a different result.

As for complaints about the cost, it is completely laughable. Do you know how much it cost to convene the Supreme Court in 2000? Do you know how much was spend in FL recounts in 2000?

Bush's new yacht and helicopter will cost tens of millions of dollars. An accurate vote count affects every single person in this country. If citizens don't have faith in the voting process, our democracy is a sham.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
we have a lot of family in ohio and the problem was not the machines counting the votes.

the lines were extremely long (my parents-in-law and grandparents-in-law had to wait about THREE HOURS in line, and my schizophrenic brother-in-law had to wait even longer-- imagine how many people LEFT the polling places...)

Ohio has same day voter registration so i am not sure that there really were that many provisional ballots placed but the cost of counting those is JUSTIFIED. However I heard a woman interviewed on NPR who had her ohio voter registration in hand with the polling place listed, her driver's license with the same address, etc, and they didn't have her on the list; made her vote provisionally. with same day registration does that make sense? couldn't they have sent her to the "proper" polling place (whatever that might have changed to)

the scandals surrounding the two parties were extraordinary with people being registered multiple times, groups sending out letters on official county letterhead saying that polling places had changed and that democrats (due to overcrowding) were to vote on wednesday. also there were signs and letters threatening if people came to the polls and ANYONE in their family was guilty of a crime or an immigration violation the voter's presence would alert police and the family member would be jailed!!!!

recounting the votes won't do enough......

·
Registered
787 Posts
The recount is over and Kerry still lost - YES!!! It definitely was worth the money. We can not complain about the cost. Why? Ohioans should demand that this does not happen again & demand that how they vote & register is accurate. Not just Ohio needs to demand this but just about every state. This needs to be corrected so we do not waste money on recounting in the future. We need to develope an accurate registration and voting system. The recount needed to be done to restore trust in our democracies voting system.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nurturing Mama
Ohio doesn't have same day registration. You have to register 30 days before the election.
that explains why those whose names were not on the list were forced to vote provisionally and not just register then and there. i don't know why the news broadcasts I heard and saw mentioned the same day registration. perhaps i misheard...thanks.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
From the Cobb recount press release of Dec. 27:

Quote:
The Ohio recount has been plagued with almost as many problems as the underlying presidential election. One of the more notable instances
took place on December 10, in Hocking County, Ohio, when a representative from Triad Governmental Systems, Inc. reprogrammed a computer used for tabulating votes and instructed the county's Deputy Director of Elections to create a "cheat sheet" so "the count would come out perfect and we wouldn't have to do a full hand recount of the county." Triad later reported working on voting machines in a number of other counties prior to the initiation of the recount.

The Hocking County incident was first revealed to the public by David Cobb during his testimony before the Congressional Forum chaired by representative John Conyers in Columbus, Ohio on December 13.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagomom
From the Cobb recount press release of Dec. 27:
How sad that this isn't even shocking anymore.

It simply amazes me that there are people out there who believe that Bush won fairly. I don't think we will ever know who really "won." Too bad all Americans actually lost.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
so you have a fetal heart monitor and it is not working correctly and has been documented as being faulty. The doctor wants to do a c-section because of a plumeting heartrate. Do you ask for another machine or just re-check using the faulty one? How much does that c-section cost?

V.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.