·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is just making me ill

yikes ola poor family
from a link off of the campain for libirty website
http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/08/swat-team.htm
Sorry for posting it wrong in the first place!

Quote:
On Monday, December 1, a SWAT team with semi-automatic rifles entered the private home of the Stowers family in LaGrange, Ohio, herded the family onto the couches in the living room, and kept guns trained on parents, children, infants and toddlers, from approximately 11 AM to 8 PM. The team was aggressive and belligerent. The children were quite traumatized. At some point, the "bad cop" SWAT team was relieved by another team, a "good cop" team that tried to befriend the family. The Stowers family has run a very large, well-known food cooperative called Manna Storehouse...

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Do you have a link to the original article? This will probably be edited due to copy right violations. It would be best if you just put one paragraph and linked the rest.

Other than, I do find this disturbing. What is the deal about meat at the very end? I will not go back to buying beef in the stores. I hope with the new administration some of this ridiculousness is over-ridden.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I'd be furious if someone pointed a gun at my child, let alone a swat team with no legal (apparently, still not too much evidence on this part) reason for being there and no reason to believe there would be any resistance to arrest or need for SWAT ... This is indeed outrageous
:. I would like to see some more articles on this, with some kind of statement from the police.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Oh my friggen hell! I run one of those too. Absolute insanity! I am very worried about this happening at the farm store where we buy our milk and chicken. With our allergies, we are totally screwed if this becomes more common.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I have heard of this on several other sites, but none of the links seemed very trustworthy to me. If true, its horrible, but I cant help but wonder if it got blown out of proportion.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
I have heard of this on several other sites, but none of the links seemed very trustworthy to me. If true, its horrible, but I cant help but wonder if it got blown out of proportion.
Did any of those sites cite a source? I can't find one at all.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
Did any of those sites cite a source? I can't find one at all.
I didn't find any mainstream sites. All bloggers.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
I didn't find any mainstream sites. All bloggers.
Odd that no one takes the credit for writing it and the only place posting info from the family is just copying the info from who knows where.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
Odd that no one takes the credit for writing it and the only place posting info from the family is just copying the info from who knows where.

Exactly!

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
It's one of those things that you don't want to ignore if it's true, but how the heck are we supposed to know? Wouldn't you think they would have gone to a library to update their website with info or something?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
So why were they even raided? Because they were supposedly taking money away from the mainstream? It frightens me beyond belief that in this so-called "free" nation this can happen without a public uproar. Sheep, anyone?

·
Banned
1,860 Posts
I am an Oberlin alum. There is no group or institution that could be referred to as "Oberlin's student food co-op." Oberlin has more co-ops per capita than any other college in the US, including dining co-ops, living co-ops, and, when I was there in 1998, a retail health food co-op with very irregular hours. It also has traditional food service options (dining halls) like any other college. The various dining halls and dining and food co-ops all have different agendas. One is a Hallal/kosher co-op. A couple are focused on fostering political change. More than one exist for the sole purpose of offering cheaper, tastier food than the dining halls do. Most of them are vegetarian. The are *not* widely known for their strident ideological stances on eating organic food. Oberlin students can certainly be ideologically strident, but they don't have the cash to get wound up about organics. They are college students who don't have a ton of money to spend on food.

The failure to name an actual co-op makes the story look weird to me. Also, who would be inspecting the food service freezers at Oberlin's co-ops and checking for the provenance of their meat? I honestly can't recall exactly which coops served what, but I I were to list the top 20 things I expected to find in an Oberlin coop food service freezer, "meat" would not be on my list. Why would locally-purchased organic meat in a food service freezer in Oberlin lead to a SWAT raid on the meat purveyor?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.