Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,383 Posts
My chiropractor gave me something, not sure if it's the same thing but it's a belt that wraps around your pelvic area. Kind of mid-butt, because your pelvis is relaxing and can cause some discomfort. Really helps me, hope my description makes sense!

· Registered
3,060 Posts
I got one last time at motherhood...it's a 4"wide elastic belt that you wrap under your belly, it velcros together...

It did help relieve some back stress, and who knows? Maybe it's like a belly lift and helps baby get into a favorable position??

· Registered
6,317 Posts
Yeah, That's a pretty good description. Here's a pic maternity belt They are pretty yucky, AFAIC. I used one for my last preg and it didn't help a whole lot, just sort of squished my belly into a weird shape.

What I LOVED was my Natal Support Garment from Jeunique. It was amazing, my belly felt 20 lbs lighter. I got the one with the bike short legs, so that I could wear it over my regular thong panties and it was great. I don't love the over-belly styling, so I'm going to play around and try to sew something similar that doesn't come up to my boobs
But otehr than that, this was my absolute FAVORITE maternity purchase!

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rubelin
Yeah, That's a pretty good description. Here's a pic maternity belt They are pretty yucky, AFAIC. I used one for my last preg and it didn't help a whole lot, just sort of squished my belly into a weird shape.

What I LOVED was my Natal Support Garment from Jeunique. It was amazing, my belly felt 20 lbs lighter. I got the one with the bike short legs, so that I could wear it over my regular thong panties and it was great. I don't love the over-belly styling, so I'm going to play around and try to sew something similar that doesn't come up to my boobs
But otehr than that, this was my absolute FAVORITE maternity purchase!
Thank you for your post! I think I need
a Maternity Belt this time, and I'm going to order it! I hope it helps!

So you ordered a Classic? Didn't the thong hurt?

And I'm a bit
confused... this is 1 piece underwear right - for $50.... so you wash every night or something?!??!! Wearing a thong underneath would work too.

· Registered
6,317 Posts
It is supposed to be underwear, but the price is way too high for me to have more than one. I wear it over my panties so I don't have to wash it all the time, plus I don't wear it around the house, only when I go out, which wasn't much at the end last time, so far it's getting way more use with this pregnancy. I might end up breaking down and getting another one, I've been wearing it a lot the past couple of weeks.

I did end up cutting it down (made the belly lower and cut the legs up some) and it's much more comfortable but isn't quite holding me up as much as I recalled it did last time, but that could be because I'm not as far along as I was when I last wore it or it could be from taking off the industrial elastic.

Oh, forgot to mention, they have them at the Pump Station in Santa Monica, if you want to come over the hill to try one on first

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rubelin
Oh, forgot to mention, they have them at the Pump Station in Santa Monica, if you want to come over the hill to try one on first
Thank you Robin! I may just do that!

Yeah, I was thinking of paying a visit to One Hot Mama... does she still have a retail store?

· Registered
2,864 Posts
I think that it's also supposed to help with muscle and ligament pain you may get in the front of your belly when you start getting bigger.

I got one with my dd and it didn't do anything for me and just felt really binding so I ditched it.

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Would it help for ab separation? I'm having a glorious 3rd tri so far, but the only complaint I have is that in the last couple of days, it feels like my abs are starting to pull apart (mostly above my belly button). It's mostly just a little uncomfortable, but it's also a wee bit painful at times, and I would like to keep the separation to a minimum (esp. since I have at least 10 more weeks to go).

· Registered
6,317 Posts
KKmama, unfortunately, nothing helped my ab seperation. It's below my belly button and started fairly early, before I was even that big. It's not painful, just weird that I can stick my finger in the gap.

Tani, I don't know where there's a One Hot Mama store, I'd think it'd be listed on the site, though.

· Registered
2,847 Posts
KKmama, I have a Maternal Fitness DVD. Julie Tupler is an RN in NYC with her own studio. She just focuses on strengthening the ABs for labor. She says that her course can help prevent DIASTASIS.
http://www.maternalfitness.com/

If you live in NYC, her gym costs $500 a month.
I saw a segment on the CBS Morning Show about a year ago... a lot of mothers LOVE her class and Elle Macphearson swears by it. She says that women in NYC walk up to her and show her their strong abs after birth. (I wish!)

Anyway, I bought her book
(haven't read it yet) and plan to practice with her DVD ($60). You might want to check out her book to see what see says about helping that.

She does sell this and says it supposed to help (pre and post partum) prevent the Diastasis from getting any bigger. Scroll down to
Maternal Fitness SPLINT

Robin - One Hot Mama is near Universal Studios... I may go there in addition to the PS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.