Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am compiling a list of companies that are NOT child/mother/earth friendly. If you would please post ones your boycotting here and explain why you do so, with any relevant links to information you may have.

We have already included
Nestle- irresponsible marketing of baby formula
Gerber-same as above
Walmart-Low wages/ sweatshop products
Nike and the Gap/Old Navy-exploitation of children through child labor

I know there are many more...

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
We don't shop at Walmart for many, many reasons (poor treatment of employees, esp. women, impact on local businesses, exploitation of foreign workers, etc, etc). Currently, we've added Target and Rite Aid to our list of no-go's because they are allowing their pharmacists to not fill women's birth control and EC.
Nestle is a no b/c of unethical advertising of forumula, esp. in poorer countries.
We don't buy Post/ Kraft Products b/c they are owned by Philip Morris.
We don't drink Coke b/c of deadly union busting in Columbia.
We don't really eat fast food, but particularly will not eat at McDonald's b/c of their terrible advertising to kids and poor environmental practices.
We don't eat at chain places like Applebees, Chilis, etc. b/c they make it hard for local places to survive (and they are usually gross and over-priced).
We try to stick to local gas stations b/c of environmental practices of the big guys.
No to Nike b/c of exploitation and child labor.
We are also aspiring to by Microsoft- free (DH uses Linux, I run on MS, but use all open source programs).
No diamonds (because of extremely exploitative/dangerous/environmentally unfriendly labor practices, even if you don't buy a "blood diamond" it still contributes an industry that puts profits way above people).
We try to buy generic over the counter drugs and perscriptions b/c the pharm industries are rotten.

I am super excited that an American Apparel store is finally coming to our town!

I guess that my general philosophy is that whenever possible, purchases should be made mindfully with those making the products in mind. I think that supporting businesses with good labor practices that are environmentally friendly is the best way to inspire change.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by swimswamswum
I guess that my general philosophy is that whenever possible, purchases should be made mindfully with those making the products in mind. I think that supporting businesses with good labor practices that are environmentally friendly is the best way to inspire change.
I totally agree. I've changed the way I shop, period.

I don't do diamonds.

I only buy food from Whole Foods and Sun Harvest, and most of that is organic/locally grown, or produced by a small company.

I purchase clothing second hand when possible, but if it has to be new, I make sure it's made in a country that supports fair trade.

The restaurants that we frequent are all mom & pop or very small chains. Better taste, better value, better values.

I'm vegetarian, so I don't buy meat. The meat industry creates so much pollution and water waste, it makes me ill to contemplate it. No fur either. I just don't shop at places that sell it. All of my makeup comes from companies that don't test on animals, and use nataral ingredients.

I think that the smartest approach is to read every label, do your research, and choose companies that you want to support.

I know that I don't support Nike, Wal-Mart, Gap, McDonalds, Coca-Cola and companies like that. So, I support Tom's of Maine, Kiss my Face, Goodwill, Blue Sky Soda, and companies like that.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I (try to) avoid Walmart after I watched a show about how they railroad small businesses into selling them their products for next to nothing.

I love to spread the word agianst Roots after they fired me (when I was a single parent) over a dispute over $1.00 *two days before Christmas*. I didn't take the dollar, btw - my cash didn't balance and we weren't allowed to leave until it did so I took the extra one and put in in the vault in a separate envelope. That was clearly the wrong thing to do! The pride themselves on being this super duper moral and progressive company but they were pretty harsh with me. Luckily I had my family around to help out, I don't know what I would have done otherwise. That was a great Christmas, I tell you...

I've never eaten or allowed my kids to eat KFC... it just seems wrong to me

I also choose generic over brand names for most things (I don't think paying for the trademarked name is worth the extra $$)

This is an interesting thread - thanks for starting it!

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I avoid most of the companys listed.
As of today I avoid Rotto Rotter. They uncloged 2 drains for us and left a mess and broke a pipe and refuse to fix it! The best they could do was send a plumber to look at it for free. They then said it will be another $170 ontop of the $240 for unclogging. What the @$*#! They are the ones that broke the pipe, not to metion they were 45 min. late.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Walmart for all the standard reasons

General Electric for crapping up the Hudson River and spending millions to avoid fixing it

Domino's Pizza and Curves for anti-choice activities

Various companies both local and national that are big republican contributors

I didn't know that Target and Rite-Aid allow pharmacists to refuse to fill bc prescriptions. Thanks for that info--I've got new places to avoid!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just read about Target not filling BC perscriptions, I am outraged and have definitly counted them off my list. I also try and make a point of writing the companies that I boycott and telling them why. I should share a letter I got back from Nestle once. Talk about [email protected]#*%.

Thanks for all the info. This information is amazing. In addition to telling us what you ban I know I would love to hear some alternatves. For instance if you don't shop at big chain stores can you suggest some fair trade/WAHM shops, whether online or off, that are better options. What about buying used cothing(a few mentioned this) is anyone involved in used clothes swaps etc? I really want to compile a solid list to share with our readers/website viewers. This is an issue I feel strongly about and feel if more people knew about the horrible practices of large companies AND knew some reasonable alternatives than a big difference could be made in how Americans buy.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Here are the companies I will NOT support:

Walmart-obvious reasons
Nestle-Obvious
Procter and Gamble-they test on animals (which, may I add, they own just about everything!!!!)
Iams pet food- horrendous animal testing!!!!!

I do try to support local health food stores in the area, but being on a very tight budget makes it hard!

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
Since I've started learning more about the way companies do business I've changed my shopping practices. It hasn't been easy and sometimes I've had to give up something I liked but I feel if you're going to talk the talk you should walk the walk too, kwim.

The businesses I consistently boycott are:

-Wal-Mart - for the treatment of women, poor employee benefits, and business practices (entering a community and practically killing all mom and pop shops). Didn't realize it until I saw an eye-opening PBS documentary on how Wal-Mart hurts small businesses in the USA.
-any personal care manufacturer that does animal testing. Am also trying not to use products that have animal ingredients.
- We usually buy groceries at a local supermarket (not a chain one) or the local health food store. We don't have Whole Foods here though I've shopped there when I've been in places where it's located. If I had the time I would go to the local farmer's market but the darn thing is open in mid-morning when I'm at work.
-We hardly eat fast food and never drink soda. I hope my daughter never gets addicted to soda like most people I know. It's full of junk.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
We do boycott most of the already-named companies. In addition to this, we also try to support local farmers. Think about it. How far did your food travel to get to your table tonight??

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiesue2
i'm interested in the Curves and Dominos anti-choice activities. Any more info on that?
I don't know about Dominos, but curves donates money to the "ProLife" movement. I always see them donating free memberships for a local "ProLife" charity auction, but it goes on a much larger scale. http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/curves.asp The founder even supports this group http://www.operationsaveamerica.org/index.html Check out the tasteful displays for all the children and public to see! and check out the shirt that says this:

Quote:
Homosexuality is sin! Islam is a lie! Abortion is murder! Some issues are just black and white!
: Apparently he's against gay people and muslims too!

So, yeah, I don;t support them. At all.

Also the Salvation Army and the others mentioned here (nestle, wal-mart)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I'm not sure what they're saving America from. I checked out the website and learned that intolerance is something to be proud of. I think I missed that part of the Gospels, because I was always under the impression that Jesus loved and accepted everyone and that we should try and be like Him in that respect. Hmmm. I am glad there's a tee shirt out there to set me straight.

It never ceases to amaze me that these so called "pro-lifers" are the same folks who want all social services cut and who blindly support war and capital punishment which, shockingly, involve death. So, did the Beatitudes and the whole blessed are the peacemakers thing just get tossed out? Was there a memo?

[sorry for the sarcasm, but this really gets me going].
grrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegreenturtle
I just read about Target not filling BC perscriptions, I am outraged and have definitly counted them off my list. I also try and make a point of writing the companies that I boycott and telling them why. I should share a letter I got back from Nestle once. Talk about [email protected]#*%.

Thanks for all the info. This information is amazing. In addition to telling us what you ban I know I would love to hear some alternatves. For instance if you don't shop at big chain stores can you suggest some fair trade/WAHM shops, whether online or off, that are better options. What about buying used cothing(a few mentioned this) is anyone involved in used clothes swaps etc? I really want to compile a solid list to share with our readers/website viewers. This is an issue I feel strongly about and feel if more people knew about the horrible practices of large companies AND knew some reasonable alternatives than a big difference could be made in how Americans buy.
Good idea about writing companies to tell them why you boycott.
Companies we really like:
American Apparel- non-sweat shop clothing (tee shirts and undies mostly, they have cute and kid stuff too) made in LA by folks who make a living wage (I think the average is $15) and have full benefits
Newman's Own- super cool food company owned by Paul Newman- he supports tons of cool organizations (environmental, camps for disadvantaged kids, etc.) and gives ALL profits away
Our local Co-op - we are members, so we own it! I think that is so cool. They buy locally whenever possible which is really cool to think about your eggs or veggies coming from someone near by.
I am a staunch supporter of fair trade coffee. Because coffee is something that you don't actually need, I think if you are going to buy it, you should be responsible about it.
Organic Valley Milk- I don't do milk, but everyone else does. I feel really strongly about organic milk and milk from small family farms. My grandparents were dairy farmers until last year when they could no longer financially compete with the giant factory farm that came to their area- regular milk is bad for you, bad for the workers, bad for the cows and bad for farmers.
New Balance is one of the only major athletic companies that still has some of its factories in the states (look for the made in the US label).
Cosco has great labor practices (unfortunately, we don't have one near by)
We live in Michigan and try to buy wine from local vinyards
- not sure if this counts.
We love our local video store and our local grocery.
In Iowa and Nebraska there is a great grocery chain called Hy-Vee. It is employee owned, has a great selection of organic foods, and is inexpensive (I am not sure how great they are politically, but they treat their employees really well).
Panera- for a chain they seem pretty good, they really seem to support their communities- they supply the shelters and neighborhood associations in my area with free bread and always seem to sponser charity fund-raisers (like the Asthma Walk) that I have attended.

I am really interested in how other people who are concerned with labor and environmental issues buy clothes. I think second hand is a great idea, but I don't feel like I could do it for everything. I am thinking specifically of professional clothes for work and conferences and stuff. What are your strategies?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.