Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will preface this by saying I might be overreacting a bit . . . I am 36 wks preg and hormonal, after all ;)

Anyway, some of you know I'm worried about the gbs test being positive. Since I'm birthing at a birth center, I can't turn the test down unless I want to go to the hospital instead.

I have all of my MW appts scheduled and in my calendar, but I do not have one in my calendar for this week, so I was planning on starting the garlic tonight in prepartation of NEXT wednesday's appointment. I just got a voicemail from the BC though, and I apparently have an appt tomorrow that is not in my calendar, and since I'm 35 wks 6 days tomorrow, I'm assuming that's when the gbs test will be done.

So . . . I'm trying to decide if I just go tomorrow and hope things turn out well or if I cancel the appointment this week, do the garlic and heavy probiotics this week and get tested next week.

Thoughts??

And for clarification, the main reason I think this is such a big deal, is because based on my labor with my first daughter, I might have a labor with this one that is short, so I might not have time for both doses of the antibiotics before the birth, which means the birth center is required to transfer the baby to the hospital for an IV. Which I DO NOT want.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
After this appt would you go to weekly appts? If you do, then I'd go to the appt, and if they bring up the test, tell them you'd rather do that next time.

FXed mama!!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

After this appt would you go to weekly appts? If you do, then I'd go to the appt, and if they bring up the test, tell them you'd rather do that next time.

FXed mama!!
truedat.gif

BUT if you think your midwife will pressure you to do it this appointment, I might cancel and go to the one next week. You know your midwife and her personality. ... Maybe you could go to this week's appointment and say you're really busy and don't have time to do it this appointment, but that you'll definitely do it at the next appointment?

·
Registered
95 Posts
First - are there any other practices in your area? Yes its late to transfer but if you and your midwife aren't on the same page for this what other issues will you have? Will you really be able to relax and birth w/o fear w/ this practice? Do you trust them?

Second - The midwives may be required by law to transfer the baby for an IV (or do Vit K or eye ointment and all that other crap). However, you as the parent ARE NOT required by law to do so and can refuse. You may have to sign an AMA form or something but they legally can't take the baby to the hospital for treatment without your consent (barring an emergency).

Useful midwives will be okay w/ winking and helping you get around bogus illogical dangerous medical care issues such as these. For example in NY the midwives are required to do eye ointment. So the good midwives tell the parents this, give them instructions on how to put the eye ointment in and hand the tubes of eye ointment to the parents to administer. All the legal requirements are met and the midwife doesn't have to do something harmful to the baby.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Cancel and reschedule for next week, would be my vote...

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I would also like to throw in there that you can test negative without doing anything special prior to testing. Many women do. I think all the extra precautions are great -- but that said, it doesn't mean you WILL test positive if you don't do all the extra stuff. You might be just fine. And if you test positive now, you can always retest in a few weeks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I feel ya mama!! I had a super fast labor with DS2 and did not get the antibiotics... i had tested positive early in pregnancy with a UTI from GBS, then talked them into retesting me later, and was still positive. The hospital kiddnapped us for 3 days. I went in today for my appointment thinking it was GBS day, and was lucky that she said "next week"... so I am starting garlic tonight! I dont want to chance testing positive!!

Could you ask if you test positive will they retest you? i asked my midwife, and that is not something they do, but yours may! or just tell em your not prepared for the test this week, you will do it next week...

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I get to do my swabs today, too.

And my midwives have us do it to ourselves. Not something I ever thought I'd be swabbing! :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
If it helps, when I made my appointment for the GBS test I wanted to make it on a Monday because it fits better in my schedule (I would have been 35 weeks and 6 days) but they said they absolutely could not do the test one day before 36 weeks so I had to come in on Tuesday, when I was officially 36 weeks.

All practices are different, but maybe they won't be able to do the test if you have not officially reached the 36 weeks mark?

Wishing you Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.