Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm still nursing my 13mo. I love it, he loves it. Nursing is great.

But, I HATE pumping. Really, truly, can't stand it. It's an annoyance, I just hate it.

DS is in daycare 2days/week, and hangs out with his dad the other 2days. When he's in daycare I usually nurse him a few times during the day (its in the same building as my classes). When his dad has him I pump (although I didn't last thursday, and I didn't bring my pump to school today).

I think I have enough frozen milk that I can give the daycare milk to give DS while he's there, and he doesn't get BM at his dad's (he refuses to give it to him - long story there and I've decided its not worth the fight). DS also spends EOW at his dad's, and when he's with me for the weekend he spends Thursday night and all day Friday with his dad.

I have to pump overnight when DS is gone overnight, b/c he nurses a lot at night still.

Is it ok at this point for me to "daywean" DS? When he spends the day with me he nurses, and I'm fine with that - I'm just REALLY tired of pumping. I'm really just talking about not pumping during the day, and maybe not nursing during the day's that DS is at daycare. Does that sound like a good plan? I'd have enough milk to give the daycare, so he'll have BM on those days.

Thanks everyone, sorry for rambling a little

· Registered
8,956 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a really crazy situation. I'm curious as to why his father refuses to give him breastmilk. That's a red flag for me, but anyway...

Why not offer a different milk? Cow, goat, soy? I stopped pumping (but kept nursing) at around 13 or 14 months. DD is 17 months and still nursing. On days I work she gets soymilk, and she usually gets at least one sippy cup of soymilk when I'm with her b/c she's nursing less and less these days.

As long as you have frozen bm, keep sending that to daycare, of course, but if/when you run out you could try introducing a different milk.

· Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His dad gives him cowmilk instead. I don't like it, but there isn't anything I can do about it.

You think that if I continue nursing when we're together I'll still have milk? And obviously I'll pump when his dad has him overnight, that will help with the daycare milk anyway.

Thanks!

· Registered
3,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thyra View Post
You think that if I continue nursing when we're together I'll still have milk? And obviously I'll pump when his dad has him overnight, that will help with the daycare milk anyway.
Yes, if you nurse when you are together you will still have milk. The rule of supply and demand will continue until you wean. And I suppose it will even continue then - no demand, no supply!

· Registered
4,642 Posts
I am in a very similar spot. I am soooo tired of pumping. I have been thinking about finding a local farmer to get some goat milk. IMO, that is the best substitution for the 12+ babies that are still nursing, but not all the time.

Between me and you, sometimes I think we are trying to do too much. We gave our babies mommy milk for waay longer than most babies get milk. A few bottles of other milk AND majority breast milk is nothing to stress over. It's time for the transition. Hang up our flanges and stop stressing about how many bags are left in the freezer.

· Registered
3,127 Posts
Hi thyra! Long time no see!! I'm so glad to see you decided to keep nursing Lincoln!

How awful of his dad not to feed him your milk.
I agree with the PP's, you will keep your supply if you continue to nurse him when you are together. I would just keep a manual pump around when he is gone overnight or in case you get too full and need to express some for comfort.

You are doing such a great job Mama!

· Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone! I have a PISA so I'll just use that when I need to - for overnight visits, etc.

Thanks LadyCatherine! I saw that you might be nightweaning
Lincoln's dad is a PITA to be honest, but oh well. It just means that when I pump I'll have milk to send with Lincoln for daycare! He's not taking as much milk right now anyway - he's a BIG fan of solids, and eats a TON.

· Registered
125 Posts
I stopped pumping when my daughter was about 12 months old. She suddenly started refusing a bottle altogether, so I stopped pumping. She's 19 months old now and I nurse her in the morning and evening, and she just drinks water during the day.

I used to have oversupply, so the transition from pumping to not pumping was a challenge in that I would get really engorged while at work. But after a couple of weeks my body caught on and stopped producing as much during the day.

My daughter does get frustrated on the weekends when I don't have enough milk for her, but I just encourage her to eat more/drink more water.

· Registered
8,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kriket View Post
Between me and you, sometimes I think we are trying to do too much. We gave our babies mommy milk for waay longer than most babies get milk. A few bottles of other milk AND majority breast milk is nothing to stress over. It's time for the transition. Hang up our flanges and stop stressing about how many bags are left in the freezer.

· Registered
4,615 Posts
I WOH, FT, nights, DH cares for our almost-14 mo while I work. He gives her BM in a bottle, no problems. I'm pumping three times a shift (twice during breaks and once right after my shift), and yesterday was our first night without any freezer stash milk. He gave her about 2-3 ounces of cow's milk, and she did just fine.

She's still nursing at minimum twice a night and at bare minimum about 5 times a day. I know if I gave up pumping now, my supply would take a huge hit, but because I'm gone FT and our routine is so consistent, it's easier for me to just keep pumping.

In your situation, I'd have probably quit pumping a long time ago! Good for you for keeping with it for so long!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.