Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick background

When DS#2 (aged almost 5 yrs) pees, it doesn go straight KWIM? It goes up and off to the right...so we got a referal to a pediatric urologist in the area and he said it was a minor thing that can be corrected with surgery (my dh took him to the appt...i was unable to attend b.c i did want all my kids staring at poor DS' penis ) So we had schuduled this surgery.

Basically they open the tip of his penis with a catheter and snip abit to get the hole open wider
: Supposed to be an easy surgery. Well, now that it is one week away i was thinking...maybe this whole surgery is completely cosmetic. DS has really gotten good with his "aim" and all. And after talking to my dh about it i told him i was worried it would get worse and he said the dr said it would NOT get worse
I guess i should have asked dh more questions when he got back from the appt.

He told me the dr said this is what is "wrong" and this is how we can fix it...but now it seems to not be medically necessary and mostly just a cosmetic procedure.

I dont know what to do....what do ya all think....i am leaning towards cancelling the appt. But i am unsure of what this will be like for him when he gets to be bigger (and then i am sure he wouldnt want the surgery
)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately he is the only pediatric urologist in the area
and with Medicaid...that makes it nearly impossible to look elsewhere for help.

The more i think about it...the more i think "no way" Maybe i just needed some outside support

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
ITA if it is just cosmetic, wait until he is older and can decide for himself, if it isn't bothering him now.

Good job thinkin' mama!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have a nephew with a botched circumcision. He's 7 and they've been waiting to fix it until he's older, there's something about their sexual development that if they mess with it now it could mess with him psycologically. I wouldn't do it, esp if there's no risk of any other problems because of it. Ds has a friend who pees crooked. His mom told me about it, I don't know how the kid feels about it. I can't see it being a big issue, if he can aim good enough to hit the toilet, I doubt his friends will notice..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm curious if anyone else has had to deal with this? My 5 year old son also pees crooked. Most of the time it is not an issue but I do not want him to have trouble in the locker room as he goes into junior high and high school because of teasing.

I have an appt. scheduled with the pediatrician for tomorrow to discuss it but was hoping to hear from some other mom's who have a son with this issue. Or a pre-teen/teenage son that might be able to give insight on whether or not it would give your kid a complex.

I love my son and do not want to ignore an issue now because of a little pain if it could prevent a lot of heartache for him as he grows.

Please share.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
My DS has a minor hypospadia that has misplaced his uretheral opening so that it aims forward but is closer to the bottom of the head (meatus).

We aren't doing anything about it, because it is minor and it doesn't effect his sexuality, fertility or his ability to urinate.

If something isn't a functional problem, I think it should be up to the person themselves to decide when they are old enough to understand the issues and consequences.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demeter9 View Post
If something isn't a functional problem, I think it should be up to the person themselves to decide when they are old enough to understand the issues and consequences.
I could not agree more with that. What if because of this "simple" surgery something goes terrible wrong.

This is not to scare you but I still want to tell you about it:
My grown dd's friends' son had surgery, the child reacted to the anesthesia and now has a very weired voice. That was 3 months ago. The parents are devastated.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:
Basically they open the tip of his penis with a catheter and snip abit to get the hole open wider Supposed to be an easy surgery. Well, now that it is one week away i was thinking...maybe this whole surgery is completely cosmetic. DS has really gotten good with his "aim" and all. And after talking to my dh about it i told him i was worried it would get worse and he said the dr said it would NOT get worse
Sounds like it would be a cosmetic surgery, then. And pretty painful-- I've been cathed before *shudder* that hurt enough without slitting my pee-hole
I'd let your son decide, if it becomes a problem for him.

Quote:
My 5 year old son also pees crooked. Most of the time it is not an issue but I do not want him to have trouble in the locker room as he goes into junior high and high school because of teasing.
Does he pee on himself, clothing, miss entirely? He's only 5, all 5 year olds miss occasionally... My nephews and little brothers did and have "normal" penises as far as I know. Doesn't everyone pee kind of crooked anyway? (no, really, my family has peed in front of each other for generations
I know my "aim" is a bit different everytime)... Seriously, I've seen a lot of people pee (no it's not a fetish
) and everone has been a little off center, not something I could see anyone singling out. Kind of like a pimple on your chin that you might freak out about, but no one else even notices

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a little more than crooked. He can be aiming straight ahead and hit something to his right. He pees at about a 65 degree angle. He and his brother were using the bathroom to pee at the same time the other day. He was standing on the side and my youngest was standing in front of the toilet. He aimed down and ahead and it went up and totally to the right. My 2 1/2 year old got hit and was very upset.

I could tell it really bothered him. He didn't mean to do it. I'd never even considered consulting the pediatrician until I saw the look on his face.
:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
If I were in that situation, I would call the doctor and ask a million more questions before I consented to surgery. I would find out if it is absolutely medically necessary, if it is causing problems, or whatever else you want to ask. Anesthesia is no minor deal with kids. If, after you have exhausted all other possibilities and gotten 3 or 4 opinions, and you still need surgery, then I would feel better. But I would not just let it go at one doctor's opinion.
Don't feel bad about calling and asking questions. You have every right to ask questions and advocate for your child. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.