Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I am so nervous. I have a couple of questions.

A. Well, not a question. But I need you all to talk me down. I am excited, scared, and nervous all at the same time. Just tell me everything will be OK, and that I will make some mistakes, but everything will work out. Hold my hand. :LOL

B. I have a web site. I hope it is OK to ask for critiques. If not, could a mod let me know and I will pull it.
http://naturalfamily.50megs.com/custom3.html
I know it's not the best site in the world, which brings me to

C. I have a sort-of business plan. After I get enough money to cover copying and sending the book, I will
1. Pay to upgrade the site to get rid of the ads
2. Get a signature package here at Mothering

That is about the extent of my planning. What else should I do? Do I eventually want a banner ad? Is it worth it? Are there other places I should be advertising (preferably free, but cheap will do, too)

D. Copyrights- Do I just say it is copyrighted, or do I need to register somewhere?

E. Logo- I need someone to create a Waldorf-y logo that represents the 4 seasons. Where could I find someone to do this?

OK. Did I mention I was nervous? :LOL

Annette

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
ok, as for the website...... first you really want to change your font. Comic sans is really disliked by a lot of people, LOL. I would also uncenter the "Each curriculum features..." paragraph and make it a left aligned bulleted list. And yes definately upgrade the site as soon as you can. Some customers wont even browse around because of the ads and with ads like those you always run the chance they will advertise something that is completely against what your site is for, kwim? Ive seen some people who use yahoogroups for an email send out updates to their cloth diaper list that is accompanied by a disposable diaper ad, LOL. You can get a good host for pretty cheap now a days if you dont use a lot of bandwidth (I think i have seen as low as $3 month).

Copyrights... if its text on your site I would just put a disclaimer at the bottome of each webpage that says "copyright 2005 YOUR NAME" or your business name. If its printed in any medium its implied copyright and you are not required to register anything.

As for the logo, im not sure, i did mine but i dont enjoy doing them so next time i would definately hire someone else, LOL. I know that Stacey from doodlebabies does it.... (as well as very good value hosting) www.doodlebabies.com

HTH! Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! One more question- my paypal orders are not coming back with ashipping ddresses. Any clues how to fix that?

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I think I fixed Paypal. One more question- should I include Canada on the free shipping, or will that kill my bottom line? It's just til the end of the month.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
i think it depends how much you are shipping..... quite often if its under a lb shipping to canada is equivalent to shipping in the US and I would include it. but over a pound is where it gets pricier. I'm not sure if that helps or not.. not sure if you can add on extra shipping when its over a certain weight?

ETA: I would probably do it this way:

Free shipping in the US, discounted shipping to Canada. Then only charge what the difference is between the US shipping and the canadian shiping, if that makes sense?

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think it should be over a pound, and the free shipping is only til the end of the month. After that, I will have to figure out what I want to do about shipping. Thanks! Just when I thought I was ready, there are all these little tiny details I hadn't even thought of!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie
C. I have a sort-of business plan. After I get enough money to cover copying and sending the book...
I'm not sure I understand this part. What book? LOL

Have you done the basics of registering your business name with the state, getting your federal tax id, etc?

If you're still in need of a logo designer, I'd like to suggest jen at Four Little Ducks .

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The book is my business- it's a Waldorf early childhood curriculum.

Thanks for the other info!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Congrats on taking the plunge! Here are some basic suggestions
, I only seriousky shop at sites that have an easy to remember url. Consider registering your domain name at http://www.godaddy.com, it is very affordable. You can then point it towards your current site, or get a web host. Michelle at http://www.dovesdesign.com is affordable and responds promptly to problems. I would also add age suggestions for the curriculum, appropriate for ages ? through ?.

HTH, and good luck! I think it's a very exciting idea!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.