Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which, in my house, means absolutely everything
For example, this morning I was looking around to see what I could get rid of quickly, and I spotted this box from a Build-a-Bear toy that we brought home. It's shaped like a house and has windows and closes into a tower-like top. My DD used that just yesterday to pack me up a "present." But it's big, and I would SOOOO love to get the thing gone. We still have our huge baby swing in the living room because my 13 month old puts her baby dolls in it and swings them. Maybe not every day, but at least once a week. Both my DD's seem to manage to find entertainment in just about anything, and since we struggle with keeping the TV off here, I hate to take anything away that might engage them otherwise.

How do you factor that into what you get rid of?

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
I'd think that if it's being actively played with it would be worth making a home for it. If there really isn't a way to create a home for whatever it is, maybe see if something can be substituted. For instance, you've got a large box that's annoying because it's large, will your dds play with a smaller box?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Taking notes--I have a big problem with this even though normally I'm pretty good about chucking things. I just can't get past this block that says, "what if ds needs to work on thus-and-such a skill and can't find the toy to do it with?". It's completely irrational, but there you have it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Build a Bear Box- I would let them keep this, because it is something that will break sooner than later, and once it is crunched, it is an easy decision to let it go. Let them have fun with it for a week or two and recycle it at the first sign of flattening or tearing.

Baby swing- if the baby is too old for the swing, pack it up asap. Using it for a doll once a week is not enough to have it out and taking up valuable open space. Put it away and you will feel so much better about that area of the room. Same goes for other baby things that the real baby is now too small for. Pack them away if you know you are having another baby, or donate/sell them asap.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I read the thread title and thought, "What? What the hell is wrong with these people?!?!" Then I read the post and realized, "Ohhhh, THAT's what she was talking about".

When to comes to our kids, so far... we haven't thrown anything out. We have several cubic yards (I'm not kidding) of stuffed animals in boxes downstairs, since he stopped using them when he picked his favorites (a big fluffy bear that "doesn't know how to smile, even when he's happy"... a Po doll... and a big plush Devil.) He has his Megablocks, his cars, his train sets, his airplanes... all of the stuff that he can sit with for HOURS and play with, and make up little worlds, we leave out, even though it gets stepped on a lot.

The sacrifices we make.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
We are guilty of keeping too many stuffed animals too, and I admit most are MINE! lol. We have a large tub of them in the garage, a large wicker chest full of them in the laundry room, a canvas storage square full of smaller ones in the playroom, two animals nets with about 6 each in the playroom, and a plastic box with beanie type ones. Oops.

Anyways! Aside from stuffed animals, which are more mine,lol, I always look at something like, is there something else we have that can provide just as much fun? They notice more/use more of their stuff, when there is less. I have noticed this immensely. Less toys=easier to clean=easier to play with!

We recently got rid of two big "rocket ships" ie. GIANT cardboard boxes. The boys spent more than a week playing with them EVERY DAY, coloring them daily with crayons and markers and glitter glue. Even the cats would play in them when the kids weren't (resulted once in little ds getting "jumped" by one of the cats who was hiding in it!) Finally I had to let the boxes go and get the living room back. They fussed for a minute and then were on to something new.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Jalapeno View Post
I read the thread title and thought, "What? What the hell is wrong with these people?!?!" Then I read the post and realized, "Ohhhh, THAT's what she was talking about".
MJ, I'm
! I had to reread it several times before I understood how it could be misconstrued, and then I was like, How did I miss that???

Quote:
Anyways! Aside from stuffed animals, which are more mine,lol, I always look at something like, is there something else we have that can provide just as much fun? They notice more/use more of their stuff, when there is less. I have noticed this immensely. Less toys=easier to clean=easier to play with!
HRC, I was thinking along the same lines. They play so much with the household stuff, they never play with most of their toys

Thanks for the input, everyone, I will bear it in mind as I get rid of my 500 items this month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.