Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm not sure, but I want to watch this thread. I really wanted to get to the nurse-in yesterday, but with traffic, we would of gotten there at 11am. So we stopped once we got to the Harrisburg East Mall... I felt terrible...

I'm breastfeeding my 25 month old on demand still!

·
Registered
439 Posts
You need to write letters to your state senator and representative (state, not federal, although federal help would not be a bad thing, either).

I would include how many other states have great laws protecting a mother's right to breastfeed wherever she would otherwise be authorized to be irrespective of whether or not portions of the breast are showing. It is important that the law not state that the child must be an infant, that the mother use discretion and that they include the "otherwise be authorized to be" because with that one, if it is absent, you get Texas' loophole where your authorization to be there can be revoked and you have to leave or else be charged with trespassing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Here is the state representative for your area:

Hon. T. J. Rooney
7 W. Fourth Street
Bethlehem, PA 18015
(610) 882-1510
Fax: (610) 861-2112

(Rooney is the 133rd Legislative District for Lehigh and Northampton Counties)

And here is the state senator for your area:
Lisa M. Boscola
559 Main Street
Suite 270
Bethlehem, PA 18018
(610) 868-8667

(Boscola is District 18, Northampton County)

·
Registered
177 Posts
There are a number of fantastic pro-breastfeeding bills languishing in committee right now. Apparently, one of the senators on the committee said, "I don't see why we need legislation to solve a problem that doesn't exist!"
:

So, I think not only do you need to write your state senator and representative, but I think we need to find out about incidents of discrimination against breastfeeding women (and babies) in the state as examples of why the legislation is necessary.

I have been fortunate enough to never enounter someone who was bold enough to approach me about my public breastfeeding, so I have no such personal stories to share.

Sen. Connie Williams introduced the legislation. I found this press release on her site from the day the legislation was tabled in the judiciary committee. I also went to a rally supporting the legislation just before Mothers Day. Check out this video coverage:
http://www.senatorconniewilliams.com/Rally.htm
I'm the nursing mom near the beginning of the video with the white blouse and my little baby wrapped in a blanket (to keep out the sun -- it was a beautiful day).

So, write to people on the Senate judiciary committee about this as well.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
You know, when we lived in PA, no one ever said anything to me. Not until we moved to a state where there is actually a law defending a woman's right to breastfeed in public did anyone say anything negative.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I had several people say nasty things to me when I was in PA. No one has ever said anything to me about NIP here in IN, which DOES have clear laws protecting NIP. THat includes nursing my ds who is now 3. No one has ever said a single thing. Once ds got over 2, I could tell people were embarassed, but no one ever said anything. Big contrast to nursing ds1 in PA, and I didn't even NIP when he was over a year old!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wendy, if you could recount your experiences as a PA resident and send them to Senator Williams, I'm sure she would appreciate it. TIA!
:

And I'm glad you're no longer dealing with issue nursing in IN. It may be that different regions of PA are more/less tolerant of NIP. Since I'm close (relatively) to Philly, where NIP is protected by city law, perhaps there's a higher tolerance here as opposed to more rural parts of the state.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't live in PA, but I am just over the border in MD. My family lives in PA and I am up there at least once or twice a week. I NIP up there all the time, and I actually get nervous when I do. Even though I'm not a PA resident, the lack of legislation affects me too and I'd love to help.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I just sent a letter to my state rep. I explained that we need protection and I also let her know that I would be willing to meet with her in person to discuss this issue. Her local office is very close to my home-- I hope she takes me up on it. I also have several contacts at the local papers, so I am going talk to them and see what else I can do.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good. I had a TERRIBLE experience here in PA- I am sure you all remember the "have a little class and do that in the bathroom" thread
: I will be writing this weekend. Hopefully we will see some change.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm interested in this one too since I live here. I didn't even know we weren't protected by a BFing law till I read it on this forum.
So far no one has said anything to me, but I've gotten some looks!
I'll ask around and find out if anyone I know has any direct experience with problems NIP and write my letters!
Great idea Amila
Deb

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Quote:
"I don't see why we need legislation to solve a problem that doesn't exist!"
I sort of see his point. Nursing in public is not, and never was to my knowledge, illegal. These laws are really extra words to make clear for the stupid that this legal activity is indeed legal and good and protected.

DH pointed out that when you think about it, by making such laws, the door is opened for them to be repealed and then what? People will think that nursing in public is suddenly illegal, when it never had been to begin with.

OTOH, the number of incidents of mothers being hassled while nursing do indeed demonstrate the need for education and some sort of definative protection.

I don't have any such incidents to report to help push for such legislation. Can't call a secondhand account of some fool saying that nursing my preschool aged son abuse an incident really. I am relieved that he didn't have the guts to actually report me, though I did tell his boss (my friend) that if that's what he really thought he should be picking up the phone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lml41981 View Post
I would include how many other states have great laws protecting a mother's right to breastfeed wherever she would otherwise be authorized to be irrespective of whether or not portions of the breast are showing. It is important that the law not state that the child must be an infant, that the mother use discretion and that they include the "otherwise be authorized to be" because with that one, if it is absent, you get Texas' loophole where your authorization to be there can be revoked and you have to leave or else be charged with trespassing.
can that really happen? I live in a state where NIP is partially protected (meaning that it is exempt from "indecent exposure" laws, even if the nipple or areola is shown incidental to the feeding). But I have wondered if I could still be "removed" from resturaunts or stores b/c the law is not specific enough. What are my rights?

(of course, the laws of "nature" give me my rights in my mind, but I don't think that will fly in the US court system!!
)

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
My understanding is that any activity not specifically forbidden by law is basically legal. Therefor, just because the law in whatever state isn't as comprehensive as in others, that doesn't mean you are not allowed to NIP or should be able to removed from public accomodations.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
subbing...

I live outside Philly and no one ever said anything to me about NIP my 2 yr old. It would be great to have legislation, I'm in.

This is the perfect time for this. Perhaps we could organize a group to go pay the legislature a visit, to encourage them to take the bill off the table? Anyone have experience w/ this?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Um...well I went to Harrisburg last year with a large group of people to rally for property tax reform. We met with legislators who said they supported it.

What did we get? They voted down the bill we wanted (Plan for PA's future, which replaced property taxes by broadening the sales tax), and created Act 1, which is a total joke as far as property tax relief goes. Friends of mine testified at the property tax hearings, and the senators there barely even paid attention. One even left the room during their presentation.

So, yeah, I've some experience in the matter, and it hasn't left me feeling great about going to Harrisburg and meeting with legislators.

ETA: Sorry, I don't mean to sound so negative. I think if we were to go to Harrisburg, it should be for a HUGE nurse-in inside on the capital steps, and we should get the legislators who support the law to help us get some attention and publicity.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts