Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find mommies here in Tallahassee, but what I've come to notice is that this is a very cliquey town... I am on the shy side, so when I went to the breastfeeding support groups, I didn't feel like I could just jump into other people's conversations. I went to Kindermusik and all the other moms already knew each other (they were nice, but I didn't feel overly welcome). I really have no idea where to go to meet some mommies with children/babies around the same age as my DS. Of the few I know, none are still breastfeeding. I am not "crunchy" so to say, but I enjoy many aspects of NFL. I am not a SAHM, either (oh I wish I were!), but I only work part time and my mom watches the little guy. So where are all the nice, non-cliquey mommies?

·
Registered
90 Posts
((((hugs))))

I know what you mean about clickiness. We live in Tallahassee but my children are older. My youngest is 7. We are moving in about a month to South Orlando area. I'm hoping I can find like-minded momma's as well.
I know there are groups that meet up at Wintrhop park during school sessions. I'm not sure about the summer. A lot of homeschooling moms with itty bitty munchkins too. I know a lot of friendships are derived from the churches here. I'd tried, I'm just a young mom and most were older having with children under 5.
Just try the parks (Winthrop, Optimist & Brown) and I'm certain, you will find like-minded mommies. Again, I'm not certain how it is in the summer months. It's so hot outside right now to go to the park. (97 degrees yesterday)

BTW, you and your son are beautiful.

I wish you well!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So there are NO mommies in Tallahassee?? :LOL

ACK! I really AM the only one breastfeeding a one year old and wearing him in a sling!!!!! (had a sneaky suspicion)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I live in Tallahassee, but won't be joining the "mommy" set until November!
That being said, I have seen TONS of moms with slings in town. In fact, I am from Orlando and moved here two years ago from Atlanta, and had never seen a sling until I saw three moms in a row (who were not together) walking with them around Lake Ella. I also see moms with slings at New Leaf Market (albeit a very crunchy little co-op). There's a "Mommy and Me" play/song/dance group at the WeMoon Spirit center -- I think they meet on Tuesday mornings (www.wemoonspirit.com). And there's a yahoo group of women who do cloth diapering (and use slings, and child-led weaning) at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cloth_dipe_TLH/. The breastfeeding support group, La Leche League, that meets at the Progressive Center on South Gadsden is run by a really friendly and knowledeable woman who has a bunch of contacts in town.

Most of my contacts, and the people who've been super friendly when I just walk up to them to chat, are REALLY crunchy -- I haven't really ventured much into the more mainstream parenting circles. I hope you find some fun moms and kids to hang out with -- that can make all the difference in a new town!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, thank you , thank you!!

I go to new leaf occasionally - stuck up a conversation with a mom who had a babe just a month or two younger than my DS, but no contact information was exchanged.

On my way to check out wemoon - been wondering if there were Mommy and Me events in town.

One person told me about Best Beginnings and I keep meaning to call and get information. I work part time, so it is a little hard to work a social life about work schedule and babe schedule... I wanted to go to LLL meetings, but they are never at a time when I can get away...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had my son in Tallahassee
Just 2 days before your little guy! However, I'm an hour away, so I haven't a clue as to what to tell you about meeting other people there. We mostly do OB appts and shopping in Tallahassee.

Teresa ~ Thanks for the tip on the yahoo group though! I always wondered if anyone close by CD!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey Daff...

Just wanted to ask if you found anyone?? I graduated from FSU and come back for the football games ... not sure how that will go this year with my new little son...

I LOVE Tally ... we had hoped to move back there with a job transfer... but looks like we're moving just south of Atlanta... Hampton, GA.

Good luck with finding some moms... I know I hung out at Lake Ella a ton to read/study... you may have some luck just chatting it up with someone??

Hugs!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I live in Tally. I work full time and have a 36 mo old and an 18 mo old. I am not a crunchy granola, but I do practice some of the aspects of AP, such as baby wearing, co-sleeping, bf, etc. We shop at New Leaf. I also walk around Lake Ella several times a week, except for the past 2 weeks. (Why do I feel like I am providing a resume for an interview...lol)

My time is extremely limited, but I will be glad to get together.

I will have to get back w/ you on the playgroups. I know of one that I have to search for online. One of my friends sent it to me. Have you tried the library during story times. You may meet some moms there. I believe during the summer they offer some extra story times for birth to 3 at the down town library.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey there, I'm in Tally, too. Just found this thread. I've been out of town for a couple of weeks, but I'm back now. Send me an email through my username link and maybe I can hook you up somehow.

And, hi to my fellow Tallahasseeans! (Teresa especially!)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
This is an old thread, but I thought I'd put it out there that I'm also in Tallahassee with a 20 month old and a 10 month old (and a 2 month old not that they "play" much) and while time isn't in abundance, my co-mama and I are always looking for fun things for the kiddos.

And hi caroline, see ya at LLL!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Just wanted to say Hi, K, saw your thread was bumped.

After the Florida LLL conference is over this weekend, we're going to have more free time. How's your little guy doing? I hope you can make it to the LLL meeting next Tuesday. If you can't, watch our yahoo list, we're going to plan some play dates in the near future!

J.C.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts