• No

Votes: 71 60.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok vote... do you use a microwave, as in there is one in your house and you use it. Only say yes if you have one right now, or use one somewhere currently.

· Registered
2,465 Posts
We have one in our house... under a pile of boxes
There's no room for it in our tiny, tiny kitchen, but I wouldn't want to use one anyway. I'm just suspicious. Plus I don't like microwaved food, it's not as good as food heated in an oven/on the stove.

· Registered
286 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown Lioness View Post
yes, only because hubby wouldnt let me get rid of it.

We have a built-in in this house, and I hate it. We're hoping to move in the next year or two, and I'm really hoping for no built-in and that I can prevent DH from putting up a freestanding one. He uses one for his lunch everyday at work. I can't figure out how to work things so he doesn't... cold lunches just don't work for him in the winter.

· Registered
811 Posts
We own one, somewhere buried in the basement. We used to use it as a glorified bread box with a clock on it, lol. We'd put bread etc. in it so the cats wouldn't tear into it. When we moved it got stuck in the basement, since we have a pantry now. I have used it once in the last few years--to dye playsilks with koolaid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephienoodle View Post
We have a built-in in this house, and I hate it. We're hoping to move in the next year or two, and I'm really hoping for no built-in and that I can prevent DH from putting up a freestanding one. He uses one for his lunch everyday at work. I can't figure out how to work things so he doesn't... cold lunches just don't work for him in the winter.
I have a small Thermos soup container that I use to send leftover soup & stew in. DH is happy with a cold sandwich when there's a hot soup to go along with it. I heat the soup up really hot in the morning, and also preheat the thermos with hot/boiling water. This keeps the food nice and hot till lunchtime. The one I have only holds 8 ounces though so it doesn't work for things like hot dishes, it just wouldn't hold a large enough serving. So I'm on the lookout for another larger one.

· Registered
1,667 Posts
We don't have one in our house- the builder was aghast when it wasn't in our kitchen plans, and my parents tried desperately to talk us into at least having a place for one.
But we don't need it at all. I just use my sister's microwave (she lives next door) to sterilize sponges.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Out of curiousity what is the concern about using the mcrowave? I am not against using the microwave it just doest usually fit with my cooking or eating style. But if I want to heat up leftovers for lunch I'll use it. That is just not usually the case.

· Registered
206 Posts
Back when we were doing dairy, and switched from ultra-pasturized, lactose-free organic 2% milk to non-homogenized local lightly pasturized whole milk (and cream and butter), we noticed a complete change in our 'tolerance' for milk and milk products. Meaning, we COULD tolerate non-homogenzied milk products whereas our previous milk gave us (adults) pretty immediate intestinal problems (even lactose-free milk).

BUT I noticed that whenever we microwaved some of our new 'better' dairy-containing products, our intestinal problems returned. The high localized heat of the microwave (I think) was just blasting the heck out of the milk, causing the same digestive problems as 'homogenization' for us. This made me stop using the microwave for anything that I think of as being fatty or with protein in it. I do use it to heat up water and for very short bursts of time for various other things, but mostly we're not using the microwave anymore.

· Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post
We haven't had one in about 2 years now. It's awesome!
We moved into a house with two ovens about a year and a half ago and everyone just assumes the top one is an old-school microwave.

· Registered
797 Posts
We have a built-in microwave in this house but in the 3 years that we've lived here, no one in my family has ever used it. Only guests have used it.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
We don't have one. We deliberately decided no microwave when we moved in together. We use our toaster oven, stove, and oven for reheating.

I do sometimes wish we had one for rice packs, but honestly, I'd rather not have it in the house. I'm hoping to get some of those quantum heat packs to use instead. I do miss reusable hot packs for my period and cold nights.

· Premium Member
2,997 Posts
We heat our rice packs in the oven. Is there a reason I'm missing that other people can't do this?

· Registered
811 Posts
DH and I got invited to a 'Passion Party' once and while that kind of thing is not exactly...up our alley, we went anyway. When we saw an item called a 'hot heart' we both looked at each other thinking the same thing, lol! It's a liquid filled plastic heart and you snap a little metal disc in it to start a chemical reaction, it heats up instantly. It's supposed to be used as a massager but we just stick it in the bed when it's cold to keep our toes warm, or for random pain/cramps. To reset it you just have to boil it in a water a few minutes.

· Registered
5,348 Posts
I use one sometimes. Reheat coffee, sanitize sponges and dishrags. I don't know what I love about cooking rags

I really would like to have a more commercial quality vent over my cook top and I think I'd do some kind of microwave drawer or smaller one. I do use it occasionally for certain things and DH would definately want one

· Registered
3,568 Posts
I am starting to use it less and less but I still use it. I never put plastic in the microwave and I dont eat microwave popcorn as it is really really bad for you. I didnt ever think to sanitize a dishrag or sponge in there.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.