Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after almost 2 months, we're finally having our new Grey, dropped off with us tomorrow. She's a 65-70 pound female. Part of the adoption fee includes a muzzle, martingale collar, and leash.
We've got a crate, a dog bed, lots of stuffies (some that rattle, some that squeak, one that rattles, grunts, and squeaks), nail clippers, shampoo (we won't be bathing her right away), food and water dishes, a furminator (we got it for our cats also), treats(Solid Gold lamb jerky and natrual balance bison biscuits), food (natural balance ultra permium), we bought 2 more leashes. One I can buckle around my waist so she can be tethered to me and one mroe plain leash. We got her a fleece jacket that we may or may not need depending on how cold it gets and how long we plan to her have outside.
I've read Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies and Your Guide to Owning a Retired Racing Greyhound.
Currently, the dog trainer at my store is very sick and we're not sure when she'll be back but as soon as she is back, we'll be enrolling in dog training. Not sure how much it will help but it's free to me as an employee and I know the trainer is wonderful.
Tonight, dh and I are going to pick out a blanket to put in her crate and we'll sleep with it tonight and then put it in her crate when she gets here. We have a 54" high pet gate so if we need to keep her contained to one room (and the cats out) we can.
I work tonight so this is my last chance to get what I need before she gets here Thursday night. I'll be getting a tag for her tonight since we need to have a tag to put on her at the time she's delivered.
Anything else?? Did we go overboard?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
That all sounds great! I've heard that greys' teeth are notoriously bad, so maybe a toothbrush/toothpaste since you're feeding kibble. Also, I'm assuming she's never been in a home, so you may have a few issues with accidents in the house...so I'd recommend something like Nature's Miracle to clean up any messes

I can't wait to see pictures!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by k9rider View Post
That all sounds great! I've heard that greys' teeth are notoriously bad, so maybe a toothbrush/toothpaste since you're feeding kibble. Also, I'm assuming she's never been in a home, so you may have a few issues with accidents in the house...so I'd recommend something like Nature's Miracle to clean up any messes

I can't wait to see pictures!!
Doh! Ian did ask me to get a toothbrush and toothpaste for her. Thank you! She has been in a foster home for about 5 weeks now so she's pretty much houstrained, fine with going up and down stairs, walking on a leash, etc. I always have a gallon of Nature's Miracle on hand. Between 4 cats and 2 kids, I'm spraying it often

ETA: Here's a pic of her from the rescues website. http://www.firstgreys.org/Photos/Ava...byWV082507.jpg
Here's her Petfinder page: http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9112840

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by k9rider View Post
She is beautiful. I love the brindles
Good luck and keep us posted. Are you keeping her name?? I bet you're just so excited for tomorrow to get here

We're renaming her Isabelle (we'll probably call her Izzi for short). She's a beautiful girl. We went to look at her and one other this past Saturday. She still shys away from men sometimes but she came right up to my son. She would come right to us if we got down to her level and after being there for a few minutes, she was actually resting against me. Ian, has to get down to her level and once she's there, he can slowly stand up. She loves having my son walk her. We don't plan on letting him walk her anytime soon since we don't have a fenced in yard but she seemed to respond really well to him.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Wow, sounds like you have everything. She is a beauty!
One thing I would suggest is to give her lots of space at first. I know you are excited (I can tell) but my first greyhound (our friendly and outgoing fawn brindle female) spent the first day or two hiding in the closet when we brought her home. Going from kennel (unless of course your dog was in a foster home first) into a home is scary and strange, and they may want to hide at first.

Our second grey (a black and white female) is our spook. Like yours she also was nervous around men. She spooks at everything. When you are first taking your greyhound for walks you will want to be careful about potential startling noises. It took a long time for her to even get used to a kid going by on a skateboard! I think she almost slipped the lead a few times jumping away from strange noises. She has gotten used to our male friends now, and is a lot more relaxed, but she still has that easily spooked personality underneath.

Good luck! Greyhounds are awesome dogs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.