Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 8 1/2 weeks old my baby has finally latched on. I have been exclusively pumping up until now. She has now gone two full days without a bottle and we're pretty excited!!<br><br>
The problem is:<br><br>
I have been pumping 2-3 times more milk than she drinks every day.<br>
So now I'm getting engorged and my one breast just feels sore all over. I'm afraid I'm going to get mastitis, but want my supply to meet her needs now.<br><br>
At night I'm used to pumping about 12oz and she is only getting up to feed once in the night, and only about 3oz. Yikes!<br><br>
It seems to me that she doesnt drink that much milk, but she has plenty wet diapers and is thriving. (now 11lb4oz from 7lbs6oz at birth)<br><br>
How can I lower my supply without all the pain and discomfort?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Sounds like you need to wean from the pump, when you are uncomfortable express with your chosen method just a little milk, to relief the discomfort. So if you were pumping 12 oz, let her eat and she gets 3 oz (not sure how you are determining this?) then you might need to pump 2 more. After doing this for a few days your supply will naturally decrease and just keep decreasing the amount until you don't have to express any extra.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
When you were EPing, how much did you pump in a day? The average babe will drink 19-25 ounces a day and gain five to seven ounces a week.<br>
Have you done weighed feeds to know how much she's taking in over 24 hours?<br>
YMMV but honestly, if it's only been two days, I would keep pumping until you know she's gaining well at the breast alone. I KNOW what a pain it is - I pumped after every feed for five months - but it may take a little while for you to know whether she's really transferring milk efficiently.<br>
When that happens, I'd do what pbjmama suggests. You could also try herbs to reduce supply - sage, mint etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts