Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. ds is now 4 months old (as of yesterday)
: and I think I'm giving up on trying to get him to take a bottle! We have tried so many (avent, elan, dr. brown's, etc.) and just does not want them. IMO I don't think I should've wait the 4-6 weeks dr's recommend because of so-called nipple confusion! I bf and bottlefed (formula) to my ds (9) and he did both w/no problem for 6 months

Anyway I just knew that I wanted to ebf this ds and I wanted to make sure nothing messed that up... what can I say? My fault

Now to get to my point... I'll be intro. ds to babyfood in a couple of months and I'm wondering how do babies get juice and water and stuff if they don't take a bottle? Also, do you offer juice and water at the same time as foods, or does that come even later?

Sorry so long... just really confused right now
:

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
If you are still going to be breastfeeding when you introduce solids, there is no need for water. And there is never a need for juice.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
My dd never took a bottle either - when we introduced food/drink we just used a cup. We would hold it for her and tip it slightly so it would touch her lips. She would "lick" it up - almost like a puppy.

When she got older and was able to hold things better we used those little rubbermaid juice boxes with the straw.

I just wanted to add, it was always filled with water. We wanted her to get used to the taste of water from a young age - it worked! Its really all she'll drink.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
DS age 3 and DD age 5 never had a bottle at all and I gave them juice and water. I just gave them a sippy cup. They have ones with little handles on each side these worked great for DS but DD just used the reg little sippy cups. Neither had any problem with this at all.
Babies still get water from your breastmilk so they really don't need alot/if any. I started with cereals and BM mixed together, then I added vegis, then fruits. I kept a calendar and each time I intro'd a new food I just wrote it down on the date. That way if there was any reaction I knew pretty much what it was from. I only gave a new food every week or so. And they did not start out eating alot at all. I did not give juice with food or anything. If they had never had the juice before or the food that the juice was (like applesauce and apple juice) then I treated it as a new food item for the week. I did not start giving them juice for a while. I did give them water everynow and then to practice with the cup. Sippy cups worked well for us and then when they are ready for no lid, we just stopped using the lids. There was no transition from bottle to cup at all.

HTH,
Allison

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiro_kristin
If you are still going to be breastfeeding when you introduce solids, there is no need for water. And there is never a need for juice.
Oh yes!! I'm planning to nurse for as long as he would like me to

·
Registered
222 Posts
My ds won't take a bottle. I've tried one with water to get him to night wean. He will take water in a sippy cup. We started giving him a sippy cup when he started wanting what we were drinking. While there is no "need" for juice or water, I also can't find a good reason to not give him some ice water when it's 110 degrees and he's reaching for my cup signing please and starting to cry. I also let him hang out with my mom for a couple hours every so often and can't see making get thirsty. He's 13 months though. I also have a small pitcher that I will put about half an inch of water into the bottom of and let him pour his own into a stein shaped metal shot glass. Messy, but he's so proud of himself when he gets anything!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
My 2nd DD never took a bottle despite our many attempts for about 3 mos! I finally gave up since there was no real need for her to take a bottle other than convenience for DH.
I just started a sippy cup when she was about 7 mos with water-not because she really needed it but she liked it. I didn't give juice until past 1 yr and that was watered down a lot.
I agree that juice isn't really needed and just fills them up with sugar. My 3rd DS is 20 mos now and I only just started giving him watered down apple juice once in a while. He still just drinks water in a sippy cup if he wants something other than mama.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I second the rubbermaid mini juice box suggestion. With just water. No juice. Juice is nutritionally pretty similar to soda pop.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My ds never took a bottle for water. I got him a sippy cup designed for babies; it had handles on each side and a soft spout. He loved it! And we never gave juice ever, just water. He's 3 now and will still only drink water or seltzer. I started him on that sippy cup when he started solids, and he had no troubles with it. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
15,484 Posts
If you're continuing to BF, there is no need for juice or water at all for at least the first year even after you've introduced solids. If you follow your DS's cues, he'll let you know what he needs.

My DS2 took water from a cup (no sippy) for the first time at about 11 months. He can hold a cup just fine now for drinking water, which he does very rarely. He is now 14 months and 99.999% of his liquids are breastmilk. Okay, maybe 99.99%.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
There is no need to give a child juice or any type of liquid if you are BF'ing ... ay least for the 1st year ...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Even though we have to formula feed, if your ebfing I would recommend giving liquids in a sippy cup... that being said... there really is NO REASON for juice, and they get adequate hydration through bm, KWIM?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My DD never took a bottle. We intro'd a sippy cup at 6 months (just water). She learned to drink from a straw around 8 months. Now (14 months) she drinks water in her sippy or straw cup all day long and can drink from a (grown-up) water bottle or an open cup with a little assistance. She has also had soy milk and has tried juice, but doesn't like it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.