Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been convinced and I've ordered a starter pack for my baby girl so there's only one thing I'm worried about... how do I wash them? Do I need to rinse them all out by hand before they go into the washer? Should they be rinsed before they go into the diaper pail? Wait, what do I do about the diaper pail?! Okay, clearly I have no idea what I'm doing please educate meeeeee!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
How old is your baby? If the poo isn't solid you can just do a dry pail method and on wash day throw them in the washer.

I do 2 cold rinse(no detergent), 1 hot wash with a little bit of detergent, 2 hot rinses no detergent
I use Tide Free.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
check out the diapering resources above
theres answers to every question imaginable

I use dry pail regardless of age/stools.
breastfed poo diapers go straight into the pail. more sollid poo, gets dumped into the toilet first

congrats & good luck!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I dry pail and wash every 2-3 days. Breastfed poop just goes in the pail. More solid (stinky) poop gets plopped in the toilet (sometimes requires a wipe with toilet paper) and then in the pail. I never rinse or anything before the pail. When it's time to wash, I dump the whole thing (pail liner, too) in the wash and do a warm rinse with no detergent, a hot wash with a little bit of detergent and a few drops of tea tree oil, then a cold rinse and dry on hot. I use All Free and Clear. Super easy!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
how do I wash them? rinse cycle, hot wash with detergent, hot wash with nothing cold rinse is how i used to do it.

Do I need to rinse them all out by hand before they go into the washer? i never rinse mine, shake of solids in the toliet then put in the pail

Should they be rinsed before they go into the diaper pail? you dont have to

Wait, what do I do about the diaper pail?! use a trash can (clean of course!) or a pail made for diapers. they also have wetbags that you can use alone!

Just rember to wash the dipes you got before you use them!!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Hi and welcome!!! I live in So Cal too!!
I have a dry pail and this is how I wash.....Hot wash with detergent and a few drops of tea tree oil......2nd hot wash with a few squirts of dawn dish detergent one more cold rinse with nothing (sometimes I do one more rinse with downey advanced)....I am a total germ freak so I usually follow my diaper load with a white load so I can add some clorox bleach to the machine to "disinfect"...I have no idea if it works but it gives me peace of mine

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
You will LOVE cloth!!
This is how I wash. Really simple.

I dont rinse, if there is solid poo, it goes in the toilet. Toss in pail.

Wash on cold with no soap.

Hot wash with soap.

Hot wash with nothing as a really good rinse only because I have really hard well water.

Hang on line when sun allows.

The pail can be washed out when stinky.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
As far as wash day goes, I dump my dry pail into the wash. Do a Cold rinse (to loosen & remove the waste) Then do a HOT wash with your detergent (we use Purex) on the longest wash cycle possible (14 min. "Heavy duty" on mine) and then once in a while an extra rinse cycle w/ 2 cups vinegar to make sure ALL residue is gone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone. I'm so glad to know that I don't have to hand rinse all the diapers. My mom freaked me out saying, "Of course you have to pre-rinse by hand! You can't just put them in the washer! They won't get clean!!!!" I guess she's traumatized by the lousy washer she had 25 years ago when I was in cloth diapers!
:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts