Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just found out over the weekend that I am pregnant with my second child. It's way early. I'm just at 4 weeks and I'm going to be 39 in a week, so I am cautiously optimistic - okay, I'm freakishly elated actually. But, I'm trying to relax and not be a complete Nervous Nellie about this pregnancy.

So, I call my OB office this afternoon to make an appointment, telling the woman who answered the phone that I had just tested positive. She asked how far away from my expected period I had tested, and I said something to the effect of "a few days past when my period was due."

So she says (and I quote), "Oh, well, you know that could have been a false positive. Sometimes when women test that early they get false positives." To which, I said, "Well, that's news to me. I've done a bit of reading into it and my understanding is that false positives are extremely rare."

"Well," she snuffed. (Yes, snuffed.) "I can go ahead and make you an appointment, but you should test in another week or two. The test will probably be more accurate then."

So, I've spent the last hour reading more on the pregnancy tests, and I would think that having three positives in as many days would be pretty reliable. But, of course, she's got me freaking again.

Just wanted to vent. Thanks for reading this far. I'm just not sure that I want to visit that office if they are going to promote that type of attitude. I know it's early. I know a lot can happen in the first few weeks. But, gee, a 'Congratulations' would have been nice. We haven't told anyone IRL yet, so I guess I was hoping for a slightly different reaction.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts

The receptionist sounds like she doesn't know what she is talking about. Your tests are accurate!

So, there!

Congratulations!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.