Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take it and I'm nursing (eventhough the bottle says see your doc if you are nursing or pregnant...) and my mom recently recommended it to a pregnant client (mom's a therapist) but she wasn't sure if it's okay while pregnant... and the woman's doc said he'd rather put her on meds (ofcourse)

Anyone know?
Does Hale say anything about 5-HTP? Anyone know anyone who is taking it while pregnant?
TIA!

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I have. I'm pregnant and prone to depression when I'm pregnant so I've taken it a couple times while pregnant. I can't tell you that it's okay but I feel fine about it. It's the same stuff that's in bananas, milk, turkey . . . you know? I don't take it all the time though, just as needed: if I start feeling depressed I do muscle testing to see what nutrient would help me most-- sometimes 5-HTP, sometimes instead I take a mineral supplement or cod liver oil (Carlson's brand-- most brands of CLO are very poor quality).

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Caitlin,
how much to take per day?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I checked some back postings of a list I am on for natural alternatives for emotional problems, and these are two postings that are related to your question:

"Secondly, I believe tryptophan to be far superior to 5-HTP. There is much
written on 5-HTP not being able to pass
the BBB efficiently and in my personal experience with myself and patients, I see tryptophan working much better.
(and yes you can still purchase it, always could). Tryptophan is best when
taken with carbohydrates, I would suggest
in the first trimester to obtain it mostly from food sources since it's easy to
do so - a handful of cashews contains 410 mg."

"The symptoms you mention appear to be linked to serotonin
deficiency. 5-HTP is a great precursor for serotonin production. We
use a formulation that includes a therapeutic supply of 5-HTP for
both of our Migraine Prevention and Depression Management
protocols. The product name is Serotona and has been used during
pregnancy and breastfeeding with the OK of obstetricians."

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
The stuff about tryptophan is very interesting, but in my experience, I have found the 5-HTP to work like magic for me anyway, and I already have it on hand. I just takeo ne 50mg capsule as needed and the results are very noticeable. When I need it, I take it before bedtime, as suggested on the bottle. I often take it with a banana and some milk or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.