Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was talking to my good friend about his son's delivery.. I am better friends with him than his partner. We were chatting and we got to the part where her water broke, and he said that the smell that came out when her water broke was the worst thing he had ever smelled in his life next to a decaying body (which he has unfortunatly smelled before)!

Now, my mother is a midwife and I've been to a few births before (not to mention my daughter's) and I don't remember anything like this. I know that for dd's I was probably too out of it to notice since my water didn't break until near the end of my labor, but of the other births I have been at I don't recall anything so putrid as he described.

What do you all make of this? I've been meaning to ask my mom, but I just thought of it now so I thought I would post....

·
Registered
616 Posts
It's a funny thing but some men find the smell of amniotic fluid to be very unpleasant. I work with a PA who thinks this as well. Of course he was the one who actually dropped a baby at delivery so maybe he's not the best one to judge!
peace and health,

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
my sisters first birth was like that. it was not the first i had attended, either, so i was really shocked. iirc, i think i later said it smelled like the dung of a 1,000 camels. my sister does not remember. she has given birth several more times and never had stinky fluid again. i wondered if the fluid was somehow infected. there was no leaking of fluid prior to AROM. now, i leaked for days after my water broke w/ds2, and from that point of PROM to birth, there was never a bad smell. ds was born in so much meconium that you couldnt tell he was a white child. go figure...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow interesting... I think I will mention this to him. His son is two now so it may be hard for him to remember if the doctor said anything about it. I bet it was meconium or something such as that..... thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had one client whoes waters smelled very animal like. Kinda like what the bears at the zoo smell like. My first son had a reallly hard time with the smell of birth when his sibling were born. Your friend may be more sensitive to smells.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.