Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some kefir that has been sitting in my fridge in the same glass of milk for about 2 months now. I got it out today and cleaned the milk off and put it in some new milk. Will it be ok to use? It was in about a cup of milk and it was looking pretty gross.<br>
Also, the reason it's been in there is because my DS has a cows milk allergy and it has always been used with cow milk. Because we're still nursing I have to drink goat milk too. Can I just put it in some goat milk? Does the kefir have cow milk proteins in it because it's grown in cow milk? I don't want to risk a reaction over it, but I'd really like to use it (if it's still alive).<br>
TIA

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I put the kefir in some fresh cows milk and set it out overnight. It's getting that tangy kefir smell, so they must be alive still.<br>
My Wild Fermentation says that you can transfer milk kefir grains to other liquids by soaking them in water. It doesn't say how long or how much to rinse them. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would just rinse them really well in spring water or filtered water for a few minutes in a strainer. Do not rinse them with any chlorinated water. Any cow's milk you have in the kefir grains will be so minimal. You can soak in the water, but just keep in mind that you'll be starving them a bit by doing so. If you're really worried, you can use 1/2 cup or a small bit of goat milk in the beginning and throw out the first batch you ferment with goat milk.<br><br>
It takes the kefir awhile to get used to the goat milk. The lactose is a bit different so converting to goats milk from cows milk or vice versa takes a few batches before the kefir looks and tastes right.<br><br>
Milk kefir grains keep great in the fridge. I usually winter them in the fridge, changing out the milk maybe once or twice.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great! Thanks so much for the answers! When I poured out the cows milk it had separated. I just let it sit overnight. The grains had formed a big solid clump, but not all of them. It doesn't look like it grew much or at all.<br>
I rinsed them well before putting them in the cows milk and have them soaking now in some filtered water. I'll try the goats milk overnight tonight and see how it goes!<br>
Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts