Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done a search, please forgive me if this has been covered already (especially recently).<br><br>
I plan to nurse DS at least to 18 months, preferably to 2 years and then slowly start the weaning process. I'm wondering how I go about introducing other fluids to him as he seems ready? He will play with a sippy cup but doesn't really try to drink from it. (He's nearing his first birthday). Is it necessary to introduce juices or other milks (be it cow, soy, rice, etc) to him before he's weaned?

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
No, not at all. Juices especially are not necessary for nutrition and can cause overweight, tooth decay, etc. My ds gets a little OJ in the morning but that's it.<br><br>
As far as milks, there's no need for weaned toddlers to drink milk, dairy or otherwise. There's not necessarily anything hugely wrong with them, but they're not crucial to a good diet either (the propaganda of the Dairy Council aside).<br><br>
I would let your ds drink water from a sippy but don't sweat it if he's not interested right now.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
My almost 1yo drinks water from a sippy cup. I have never offered him juice or cow's milk to drink. He is still BF- never really took BM from a bottle so I was surprised at how easily he took to the sippy cup. I started him on the Nuby sippy with the flexible spout and now he drinks from all sippy cups. He just played with it at first, but caught on after about a week or so.<br><br>
HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts