Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell me what, if any, are the possible risks of having a baby when you are over 40 that the medical establishment insists is true. Is there some stuff I can research what the score is on being an 'older mom'? I mean actual facts rather than scare-mongering, I'd be real grateful and can't find much on search.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If you can find the book, I would suggest reading Henci Goer's "Obstetrical Myths vs Research Realities". You may find information that you are looking for there.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Well, I'm 41 now and have wondered about some of that too. My midwives were very non-chalant about it. They serve clients from 17-48...and 48 just happens to be the oldest mama they've had as a client, not necessarily a limit for them.

I think I read years ago that with the exception of high blood pressure (which afflicts both the youngest and the oldest mothers with about equal numbers) most of the 'risks' of being of 'advanced maternal age' is relevant mostly to those women pregnant for the first time at those ages.

This is pg#4 for me, and with the exception of having not so much energy...I feel better than I did through any of my other pregnancies.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had DD at 38 - I did develop PreE and she was delivered at 28wks. When I got pregnant this time (40 - will be 41 when baby comes) they tested me for blood clotting disorders - of which I have 2 so I'm on medications for those and seeing my OB more frequently. They did find a blood clot in DD's umbilical cord which was probably a large factor in developing the PreE. So there is a good chance I would have developed it no matter what age I had gotten pregnant.

While they do quote higher statistics for genetic disorders (downs/trisomy) for older mothers - I have heard that with the great increase of "older" women having babies they might have to revise their statistics. As most of those statistics were compiled years ago when not that many women were having babies in their late 30's/40's. I don't have any source for this other than it is something I heard....so take it with a huge grain of salt.

We did NT scan and quad screen for both pregnancies - for this one they quoted (age 41) 1:63 pre-test and 1:1341 post-test for Downs and 1:116 for trisomy 13/18 went to 1:2301 post-test.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for all replies to my post and congrats on all your pregnancies. I am going to research this a lot more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm 45 and currently 17 days overdue with baby #8; baby #7 was born when I was 40.

Higher risk of miscarraige in early pg.

Higher risk of genetic abnormalities.

Then a ton of silly scare tactics - my most recent was an OB screaming at me when she discovered I'm anticipating my eighth homebirth, "What are your plans for when you hemmorhage?!!? Because you WILL hemmorhage!!"
: Lovely. No statistical correlation, tho, she was just having her little fun, snort.

Personally I do allow "them" to do one careful ultrasound at the gestation where they can check for cardiac anomolies, because if we had operable cardiac defects, I'd want to birth in a facility where that could be dealt with. Amnio, no.

A website I found fun (not statistics, just fun): http://www.tonguewag.com/journals/catherine6067/

Kim, mama to 7, due with new baby boy July 10th

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
: Mamaheart that is just awesome and thanks for link, just what I need, just get angry at the intense pressure put on older moms to have loadsa tests and stuff, shame mw giving you the attitude but you don't seem phased, all the best with everything the now. Good vibes coming your way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.